Index | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22
Directed by Kim Manners
Mulder: We don't have the X-Files.
Scully: No, but what if he could corroborate everything that you're saying? This boy could be our last, best chance.
The X-Files division is re-opened, but with Spender and Fowley in charge, while Mulder and Scully are assigned to other duties. Thanks to a tip-off from Skinner, Mulder and Scully are still able to get in on the latest case: alien activity in Arizona.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Despite everything she went through in Fight The Future, Scully inexplicably falls back on this mindset yet again. Mulder is already fed up with it:Mulder: "What does it take? For this thing to come up and bite you on the ass?"
- Chest Burster
- Evil Gloating: Smoking Man gloating to his son Agent Spender about how they have gotten one up on Mulder at the end of the episode, that he is on thin ice. And how beautiful it is to break a man's spirit complete with a slight sadistic smile.
- Evil Is Petty: The Cigarette Smoking Man lights up in front of a no smoking sign in a medical ward, walking in on a sterile operation.
- Fingertip Drug Analysis: Mulder touches some organic alien goo in the power plant.
- Holding Hands: Almost a repeat of the hand holding at the end of The Movie.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Gibson had shades of this earlier, but here it's emphasized.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Discussed by the Cigarette-Smoking Man, who while guilty of often thinking way also concedes that this isn't always applicable.
- Myth Arc: Mythology episode recapping things from season 5 and the film, plus adding some new things.
- Surveillance Station Slacker: Homer, just like his namesake.
- Take That!: The FBI committee's leader is named Maslin, after film critic Janet Maslin, who gave the movie a negative review.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: Alvin Kersh is introduced in this episode, who becomes a recurring pain in the ass for the X-Files unit until the finale.
- Wham Shot: The ending, where the Xenomorph-like alien molts it's flesh and is revealed to transform into the classic 'Grey' alien.
Scully: It would mean that all of us are.