While participating in a late night staff poker game, Josh is interviewing an attorney for the council's office, CJ is trying to convince the guys that an egg can stand on end during the equinox, and Bartlett has to convince the Russians to hand over a spy plane without letting them know its a spy plane. Then somebody shoots at the White House after two terrorist bombings earlier in the day.
This episode provides examples of:
- Code Emergency: A couple different examples. When initially securing the Oval Office the Secret Service mentions that "Bamboo shoots ready", which Bartlet translates as they want him in the Presidential motorcade. Later, Ron calls for them to "crash it", which means a total lockdown and communications blackout until they can secure the premises.Ron: Nevada, Bravo, 3, 3, 1. Crash the West Wing.
- Continuity Nod: Josh's comment about assuming somebody was locked and loaded because he heard "First Noel" is a call back to the episode Noel.
- Determinator: Charlie and Debbie Fiderer getting through the secret service protection around the Oval Office after somebody shoots at the White House.
- Oh, Crap!: Bartlet hurriedly gets off the phone with the Russian President when he sees two uniformed Secret Service agents in full body armor and carrying assault rifles enter the Oval Office on their way to the portico.
- Title Drop: By CJ during the card game and discussing faith.