- Epiphany Therapy: Stanley makes it clear that isn't going to happen with Jed.
- Fiery Redhead: Andy after reading a speech to be given to the UN written by Toby and Sam.
- Foreshadowing: Toby is told three times how Andy is NOT going to happy about the UN speech.
- I Have to Go Iron My Dog: After Sam tells Toby that Andy is waiting to talk to him.Sam: Okay, well, I'm going to step out for a minute, and not be in this area anymore.
- The Insomniac: President Bartlett has not been able to sleep for the five nights.
- Qumar: Averted. Iraq is mentioned by name.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Toby's argument with Andy over the speech, which mentions "Islamic fascism."Andy This speech isn't supposed to be ideology. The speech is supposed to be about reality.
- Take That, Audience!: Some think the Toby/Andy plotline is Sorkin responding to criticism over "Issac and Ishmael."
- This Is Gonna Suck: Toby has this moment before going into his office to talk to Andy (his ex-wife).
- Walk and Talk: As Stanley is brought through the White House, repeatedly being asked if he knew anyone on the plane.
- Wham Shot: President Bartlett shows up as Stanley's patient.
Recap / The West Wing S 03 E 14 Night Five