Krusty reveals the untold story of his past in his movie "The Sands of Space". Bart and Lisa learn about the early years of their parents' relationship when Homer and Marge were personal assistants on Krusty's film.
- The '80s: The flashback takes place somewhere late in the decade (with some early 90s references thrown in). Esch crew member even gets a bag of white powder... that surprisingly is not cocaine.
- Comically Missing the Point: Marge didn't understand what Krusty meant by Shame If Something Happened to Homer.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Krusty choosing scales over feathers for the movie (as a headdress for the princess character) is reminiscent of how modern representations of dinosaurs are treated by the mainstream media.
- Framing Device: Krusty tells the story of his effort to make a movie others tried but failed to make. Almost all scenes are flashbacks of that time.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: In -universe: Krusty's film becomes a cult classic in Mexico, where is thought of as a comedy.
- Pie in the Face: Krusty admits he's afraid of pies and all "pies" thrown at his face were cakes made to look like pies.
- Refusal of the Call: Discussed. One of the people Krusty pitched his idea to thinks a story where the hero initially refuses the call before accepting it makes no sense.