When the Leftorium shuts down, Homer helps Ned get a job at the Nuclear Power Plant. Meanwhile, Marge feels that her marriage has lost its spark.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Homer prays that Ned loses his new job at the Nuclear Power Plant. He feels bad when Ned is fired.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: God does this after Bart says God is feared instead of loved.
- Continuity Nod: Ned Flanders offers to make his famous hot chocolate, which he's shown preparing the exact same way as the cup of hot chocolate he made for Bart in The Simpsons Movie...except it turns out he's preparing it straight into Homer's mouth instead of in a cup.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Even Martin Prince misbehaves at class.
- Peer Pressure Makes You Evil: During Ned's first day as a teacher, Nelson makes Bart spit a paperball as a proof of loyalty to peer pressure.
- Scare 'em Straight: As a substitute teacher, Ned makes his students behave by tricking them into fearing divine punishment for misbehavior.
- Worth It: This episode's couch gag features the couch as part of a ferris wheel. The house is practically destroyed but the Simpsons say the ride's worth it.