Homer recalls a dysfunctional Simpson-family vacation to the Grand Canyon with the practically perfect Flanders family that turned into a memorable bonding experience.
- Art Shift: Within the Couch Gag, Maggie is drawn in the Inkblot Cartoon Style of the early 1930s, while Homer as Baloo is drawn with a sketchy line to emulate the Xerox cel look of Disney films from the 1960s. The backgrounds are also done in the style of the movies that each segment parodies.
- Animation Bump: The couch gag begins in the normal Simpsons style, then quickly switches to a more fluid style. When Bart as the Sorcerer's Apprentice turns everyone back to normal, the others look disappointed. When they are back to normal, the animation is still noticeably more fluid than how the show's animation typically is (especially on Bart), due to Eric Goldberg animating the end of the couch gag as well.
- Comic-Book Time: A bizarre example. Homer's flashback takes place two years prior, before Maggie was born, and has Maude Flanders still alive; in real time, Maude died 16 years before this episode aired, and Maggie was still a one-year-old then.
- Disney Creatures of the Farce: In Marge's segment of the couch gag, Santa's Little Helper and Snowball II are washing the dishes.
- Disneyesque: The Couch Gag is fully animated with backgrounds matching the movies being referenced. The characters themselves, however, are still drawn in the Simpsons style.
- Driven to Suicide: One of the mules that flee in terror when Homer expresses the idea of riding one of them runs into a glue factory.
- Drowning My Sorrows: "A vacation with Flanders? That's like telling you a bedtime story with no beer!"
- Flashback: Homer tells Maggie the story of the family's trip to the Grand Canyon before she was born. This also allows for Maude to return in an episode after being killed off in Season 11 and for Lisa to eat bacon after becoming a vegetarian.
- Ironic Echo: Maude tells Marge that she is "only going to say this once" about Bart being a little "checked out" but it echoes through the Grand Canyon.
- Mooning: "Enjoying your moon view, Homer?", Bart says to Homer as they are at the Grand Canyon. Homer angrily tries to moon Bart in response but is tased by the security guards.
- Potty Dance: Homer finds a restroom near the Grand Canyon and hurries over to it. A bear then runs out also waiting its turn.
- Shout-Out: The Couch Gag parodies the following Disney films: