On his way home from a poker game, Homer befriends a pregnant woman, then is forced to help her when the elevator gets stuck and she goes into labor. Meanwhile, Lisa helps the town's cheerleaders unionize so they can negotiate for better wages and on-the-job conditions, leading the Rich Texan to hire scabs.
This episode contains examples of (YMMV tropes can be found here):
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: Lisa gathers the Atomettes in Bart's treehouse, causing a crowd of men (from Nelson to the Mayor) to circle around them.
- Call-Back: The pregnant woman names her baby Homer and Homer calls him "Homer Junior", or "Ho-Ju". Homer recommended Bart to change his name to that back in the Monorail episode.
- Child Prodigy: Homer's unfitting teachings for babies in how to open a beer bottle teach baby Homer how to do it himself, to the amazement of his parents.
- Disproportionate Retribution: At the zoo, Maggie and Homer Junior bickering ends with baby Homer getting off their carriage and pushing it off to the direction of an otter sanctuary. He grins and waves at Maggie.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Marge objects to Homer's idea of bringing Homer Junior to the zoo with the family. Her objection comes to fruition when Maggie nearly falls in the prairie dog sanctuary.
- Seldom-Seen Species: At the zoo, Lisa prods Homer into visiting a capybara exhibit and Maggie nearly ends up in the prairie dog exhibit.
- Skewed Priorities: Marge finds it odd that Homer isn't ogling the cheerleaders with all the other men and is more angry that he's supposedly playing poker with his friends. Averted when in the end, Homer realizes there were cheerleaders and he missed them completely due to looking after Homer Junior.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Whatever Homer teaches Homer Junior to do like opening beer bottles and holding grudges on other babies. Homer Junior's mother doesn't seem to care (or wasn't told about it).
- Weird Trade Union: After Lisa unionizes the cheerleaders for the Springfield Atoms and calls a strike, they are joined by their fellow unions, The Weather Girls local 143 and the United Federation of Ungrateful Au Pairs.