John Oliver guest stars as Wilkes John Booth, a neighbor whom Marge has never met and doesn't want to meet since Homer insulted them like he always does with new neighbors, but Marge reconsiders when Lisa decides to go friendless.
- ...But He Sounds Handsome: To encourage Lisa to make friends, her parents hold a party for her and invite every kid she ever befriended. They give up when the only invitee who shows up is a boy she used to play soccer with. When Lisa sees and recognizes him, he denies being that boy but claims he'd like to because of how good he is as a soccer player.
- Catch Phrase Interruptus: After Homer and Marge get thrown out of the party...
- Disproportionate Retribution: Homer accidentally ruining a game leads Wilkes to smack him across the face.
- I Ate WHAT?!: Itchy forces Scratchy to serve cat meat to the cats that eat at their restaurant. The cats are disgusted once they're told that they ate other cats.
- Jerkass: Homer is sorry about ruining Marge's chance to make friends only when Marge is looking. He is secretly very happy and obviously sees his wife giving up at making any friends as a good thing.
- Jerkass Has a Point: While paying someone to be Lisa's friend was obviously wrong as Miss Hoover spells out Lisa is too insistent in forcing her classmates to accept her views and doesn't care to respect theirs. When the lie was revealed Tumi admits that she does like Lisa only for Lisa to abandon her the moment she reveals she is not a vegetarian.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Zig-Zagged. When Marge secretly pays Lisa's friend to be her friend, she was outraged and wouldn't talk to her mother. When she was finally moved to tears, Lisa looked guilty for it. But in her head, she was secretly proud of it, but "now, all I want is for Mom to stop crying". And then, when she calms her mother down...Lisa: It's funny, but hurting your feelings made me feel better.
Marge: Hmm...try to forget that.
- Oh, Crap!: Homer and Bart have this near the end of the episode when Lisa wishes Marge a Happy Mother's Day.
- Soapbox Sadie: Lisa abandon's her chance at Muni actually being her friend for real when she finds out the girl isn't a vegetarian.
- Shout-Out: The Itchy and Scratchy episode Bart watches features Scratchy as a chef and Itchy controls him like Remy does with Alfredo Linguini.
- Unfortunate Names: The name Wilkes John Booth is too similar to the name of the murderer who killed Abraham Lincoln.