When Grampa goes missing from Springfield Retirement Castle, Homer and Marge's attempts to find him uncover an untold past that includes a black singer (voiced by Anika Noni Rose) as a second wife and a job as a busboy with Marvin Hamlisch. Meanwhile, Lisa gets into online poker so she can get more money for a better education after Homer puts his injury settlement money in online gambling to fight back against corrupt banks.
- As Himself: Marvin Hamlisch playing a younger version of himself, in one of his last public appearances before his death in August 2012.
- Epic Fail: Krusty's lawyer loses his case when Homer sues him despite the fact that Krusty wasn't one that could be sued over the case.
- Hypocritical Humor: When Bart and Lisa lose their winnings after the website figured out they're minors, the dealer scolds them for breaking the laws against underage gambling. When they ask the dealer if the people they won that money from will get it back, the dealer logs out without answering the question.
- Stealth Pun: The day Homer and Marge forgot to visit Abe was on a blue moon.
- Take That!: To American banks. Leaving five thousand dollars in a gambling website and waging nothing is considered safer than leaving the money in American banks.