Bart is accused of playing a prank on the Springfield Elementary School band during an Easter gathering, and Janet Reno (voiced by Janet's real-life sister, Maggie, though the real Janet Reno is credited for doing voicework) is hired to oversee the case. Meanwhile, Mr. Burns becomes a superhero known as "Fruit Batman" and Smithers pays the townspeople to pose as Mr. Burns' Rogues Gallery of villains.
- Bait-and-Switch: The "peep show" Moe paid to watch wasn't a strip show; it was a bunch of baby chickens.
- Brick Joke: When Mr. Burns learned Smithers had hired people to pose as villains to sustain his delusions about being a hero, he was told one of them was real. During the epilogue, that villain was enough of a threat a Nick Fury Expy recruited expies of other superheroes.
- Call-Back: Homer's hidden talent for music (last seen in "Homer's Barbershop Quartet") comes back when Homer conducts the Springfield Elementary band and puts more energy and passion into it than Mr. Largo has ever done (even though Mr. Largo scoffs, "Anyone can conduct Sousa").
- Cerebus Call Back: To the "Mike Rotch" scene from the Season 2 episode "Blood Feud", showing how traumatized Moe became from Bart's Prank Call.
- The Corrupter: During his first stint as "Fruit Batman", Mr. Burns said he couldn't trust cops because they're corrupt and that he knows it because he corrupted them.
- Courtroom Episode and Superhero Episode: The main story and the B-story
- Fantasy-Forbidding Father: Mr. Burns' father's position regarding comics. He even burned down a comic publishing house just to show his son how much he hates them.Comic Publisher: Why did yo locked us inside?
Burns' father: So my bot understand the lesson.
- Kick the Dog: Mr. Burns' father wanted him to literally kick dogs instead of reading comics.
- Living Lie Detector: Maggie is the only one at the Simpson household Bart cannot lie to.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Lisa would have cleared Bart of all charge on lack of concrete evidence alone if she didn't try a plea of clemency, as almost whole town can give good reasons why Bart shouldn't receive any clemency.
- Noodle Incident: Smithers admits one supervillain wasn't paid, it was just a really lucky accident.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Discussed as Burns says he just arrested three Lenny lookalike villains this week.
- Shout-Out: To The Avengers
- Superhero Episode: Burns decides to be a superhero. Although Smithers bribes most of the villains.