In this Green Aesop fable, The Simpsons decide to give wind power a try by building a turbine while Lisa attempts to save a beached whale.
- Big Damn Heroes: Bluella's mate shows up to save Homer from being attacked by sharks.
- Comically Missing the Point: After Homer falls in the water, Lisa states that the sharks are mistaking him for another baby whale due to his size. Homer's response?Homer: Ooh, a baby whale! My diet is working!
- From Bad to Worse: Homer accidentally falls overboard into shark-infested waters, and the sharks take notice of him due to his fat. Two eco-activists toss him a pail for chasing away the sharks, but it hits his head causing him to bleed...and attracting even more sharks.
- Hope Spot: Lisa's All Just a Dream where everyone manages to save the whale. When she finds out this wasn't the case, she instead finds Bluella dead and she silently sobs at her demise.
- Idea Bulb: Itchy had one and broke it so he could use it to stab Scratchy.
- Interspecies Romance: Discussed—When Lisa worries about whether or not Bluella's family will be okay without her, Homer assures her that they'll be fine and suggests that Bluella's widowed mate will find and marry a giant octopus and have a baby whale-o-pus. Marge suggests they all draw pictures of that scenario when they get home, and at the end credits we get to see a montage of said pictures, which are adorable.
- Naïve Animal Lover: After failing to save Bluella, Lisa tries to save her pod of offspring from a group of sharks. But then she learns An Aesop that sharks need to live too, and in order to live they eat other animals - such as baby whales.
- Despite this, the whales are still rescued...by their father.
- Of Corsets Funny: Comic Book Guy buys a corset he claims makes him look like William Shatner from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Little by little the corset gives way, making him look like Shatner from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek: Generations, and once it breaks entirely, Boston Legal.
- Papa Wolf: Bluella's mate rescues both his calves and Homer from being eaten by sharks.
- Shout-Out: The Itchy and Scratchy episode the Simpsons were watching was a parody of House.
- Steel Ear Drums: A rare non-gun example: Blue whales produce the loudest noises of the animal kingdom (188 decibels, which can deafen a human nearby) yet Lisa and the other residents are unaffected.
- Threatening Shark: Deconstructed. Sharks are the main threat at the climax of the episode, threatening to eat baby whales (and Homer), but they're only doing this because they're predators. The eco-activists even stop Homer from harpooning the sharks, pointing out sharks are threatened due to being hunted to make shark-fin soup (which is, unfortunately, Truth in Television).