The Simpson house is foreclosed upon after Homer uses the money from his home equity loan to host lavish Mardi Gras parties, and Ned buys it and becomes their landlord so they won't have to move, but being a landlord for a slobbish family like The Simpsons begins to take its toll on Ned.
- 0% Approval Rating: When Ned kicks the Simpsons out of their house, the other neighbours respond that their leaving is like Christmas to them. When Ned lets them move back in, everyone else on the street instantly puts their houses up for sale.
- Bait-and-Switch: When Ned comes to tell the Simpsons that they are free to stay, Homer says he needs to take care of "something" that he left in the bedroom. The initial way the scene is set makes it look like Homer did something awful for the sake of revenge like take a dump on the bed, but it turns out that he had left behind a fruit basket for any future tenants with the note "Please take care of this house".
- Bed Sheet Ghost: Bart does this when Homer tries to convince the news crew that the house is haunted. Bart claims to have died when his dad sat on him causing Homer to choke him.
- Bungled Suicide: Homer was so upset about losing the house that he tried to hang himself in the backyard. Instead, the tree gives way because of his weight and it crushes his car.
- Cranky Landlord: Inverted after Ned becomes the Simpsons' landlord — the moment they find out that this means Ned is obliged to do stuff like fix their home if they ask for it, the family makes Ned's life a living hell.
- Disproportionate Retribution: An exhausted Ned refuses to go over to the Simpsons in the middle of the night to fix something after spending all day doing just that. The Simpsons become so angry that they complain about him to the media.
- Tempting Fate: After the Simpsons were evicted, Homer drew comfort from the fact it wasn't raining. They then looked at the sky as if expecting it to rain just because Homer said it wasn't but then no rain came.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Marge and Lisa when they along with the boys go to complain about Ned to the news because he wouldn't come over in the middle of the night to fix something, after spending all day yesterday doing just that..