First Aired - 3/18/1990
It's Marge's birthday and Homer gets her a present: a bowling ball, for which Marge initially has no use. To spite him, she takes lessons — and encounters a suave French bowler (voiced by Albert Brooks) who wants to have sex with her.
This episode contains examples of:
- Birthday Episode: Marge's 34th birthday is celebrated in the first act of this episode.
- Blatant Lies: Homer said he had his name inscribed on the bowling ball to make sure Marge would remember it's a gift from him. Then, Marge told Jacques "Homer" is her ball's name.
- Bowling for Ratings: Homer gets Marge a bowling ball with his name engraved in it for her birthday. Marge decides to take up bowling lessons out of spite, and encounters Jacques, a French bowler.
- Bridal Carry: Parodied:Homer: I'm going to the back seat of my car with the woman I love, and I won't be back for TEN MINUTES!
- The Casanova: Jacques is somewhat of a Casanova and mainly seems to try to seduce his clients instead of actually teaching them anything.
- Early Installment Weirdness: During Marge's phone conversation with Patty and Selma, Maggie can be seen sucking her pacifier repeatedly, a concept dropped in later episodes as it was deemed too much of a distraction from the dialogue.
- Everything's Sexier in French: Jacques has a French accent and is a Casanova.
- Heroic BSoD: Homer sinks into depression once he realizes Marge isn't spending time with the family (and may be seeing someone else).
- It's All About Me: Homer buys Marge a bowling bowl a gift, despite her never bowling once in her life. He is so unsubtle about his intentions he even has his name engraved on it in advance.
- Noodle Incident: Homer's previous gifts to Marge were the Tackle Box and a Connie Chung calendar.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Jacques loses his French accent when asking for more onion rings.
- Pun-Based Title: At first, Jacques the French bowler would be a Swede named Bjorn and the episode was titled "Bjorn to be Wild".
- Special Guest: Albert Brooks as Jacques (credited as A. Brooks)
- Speed Sex: Alluded to. "I'm going to the backseat of my car with the woman I love! And I won't be back for TEN MINUTES!"
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: "MORE ONION RINGS!!"
- Weird Moon: The scene where Jacques drops Marge off home, the moon seen in the background resembles a bowling ball.
- Your Cheating Heart: Marge cheats on Homer when she falls in love with a bowling instructor named Jacques, who continues to seduce Marge into going out with him and abandon her marriage. This lasts until Marge changes directions from going to his house to surprising Homer at work and reconciling with her husband.