First Aired - 3/25/1990
While Marge and the kids go out to eat at a seafood restaurant, Bart comes across a private bachelor party where Homer is dancing with a belly dancer known as Princess Kashmir, takes a photo of it, and passes it around the neighborhood. When Marge confronts Homer about the incriminating evidence, she throws him out for a day, then tells him that she will take him back — but only if he takes Bart to see the stripper and show that the dancer is more than just a sex object for horny men.
This episode contains examples of:
- Belly Dancer: Princess Kashmir. She's dressed as a belly dancer for a bachelor party.
- Borrowed Catch Phrase: When Homer realizes Bart took a photo of him dancing with Princess Kashmir, he prepares to strangle him with his trademark "Why, you little...!" But he's interrupted by Marge shouting "Why, you big...!" and trying to strangle Homer.
- Comically Missing the Point: Homer while coming home from work people keep greeting him and doing hula dances. He isn't aware that the picture of him dancing with Princess Kashmir has circulated (despite there being a copy of the picture right behind Apu), and just figures that they're on drugs.
- Crossover: The lounge singer Gulliver Dark is a holdover from The Tracey Ullman Show, where he was also played by Sam McMurray.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- Mr. Burns actually recognizes Homer in this episode. Compare to the later episodes where he doesn't. (Though he still had to be reminded by Smithers in an earlier scene.)
- In this episode, Lenny is voiced by Hank Azaria and Carl is voiced by Harry Shearer, sounding a lot like Moe and Ned, respectively. They eventually swapped roles and developed more distinct voices.
- Given the future antics of Homer, and how Marge had varying reactions to them, but almost never threw him out, the idea that Marge would throw him out for simply dancing with another woman would be absurd by even Season 3, let alone more modern episodes.
- Marge doesn't seem to mind eating at a seafood restaurant, while in "New Kid on the Block", she says she might be allergic to fish and doesn't eat anything when she and Homer go to the seafood restaurant in that episode.
- Smithers is seen on a double date with a woman. This was from before the time the writers decided to make Smithers Ambiguously Gay.
- Funny Background Event: Princess Kashmir comes through the door, and a disgruntled dishwasher is seething.
- Green Around the Gills: Bart becomes green-faced at the sight of some repulsive-looking seafood.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- Bart delights in Lisa's grossed out reaction when he orders "squid platter with extra tentacles." When the dinners arrived, however, Bart was the one who turned Green Around the Gills.
- A father scolds his son for possessing the picture. After sending his son to his room, he looks at the picture again with glee, planning to show his co-workers.
- Karma Houdini: Despite being the one who took the picture in the first place after sneaking into a bachelor party, Bart gets away with having taken the photo and Homer's the one who gets Marge's wrath.
- Match Cut: This happens when Rev. Lovejoy's secretary shows him the picture she confiscated from one of the choir boys.Rev. Lovejoy: This one has strayed from my own flock. His name...[close up to the photo]Smithers: [pull back to Smithers holding the photo] Homer Simpson, sir, a low-level employee in sector 7G.
- Move Along, Nothing to See Here: Bart says this at the end:All right folks, the show's over! No more to see, folks, come on. Only sick people want to see my folks kiss!
- News Travels Fast: Bart's scandalous photo of Homer and Princess Kashmir spreads throughout Springfield in no time at all.
- Parenthetical Swearing: In the final act, Mr. Burns reacts to seeing Homer on stage by shouting "Homer Simpson!" with a "Holy shit!" inflection.
- Say My Name:Mr. Burns: Simpson, I'm asking you nicely.Homer: I really don't know, sir.Mr. Burns: SIMPSON!!!
- Sexy Whatever Outfit: The from all nations-women costumes in the show at the Sapphire Lounge.
- Shout-Out: Apu tells Homer that he looks familiar due to seeing him on a viral photograph of him dancing with a stripper. Unaware of the photo's existence, Homer comments "You've got me confused with Fred Flintstone".
- Special Guest: Sam McMurray as Gulliver Dark.
- Turns Green: Bart becomes green-faced at the sight of some repulsive-looking seafood.
- What, Exactly, Is His Job?: According to her career rundown, Princess Kashmir is a stripper for nearly every gentlemen's club in Springfield under many names, such as "April Flowers." She also works as a belly dancer for bachelor parties and can be seen dancing at nightclubs. She is also somewhat of a celebrity in Springfield.
- Woman Scorned: Marge is incensed finding out about Homer and Princess Kashmir, kicking him out of the house.