Homer ruins Marge's chance to make friends and, just when she thinks she will never have friends, a woman called Tammy offers her to join a group called "The Cheery Red Tomatoes".
- Berserk Button: Do not speak English in front of Milhouses grandmother. (She was abondoned while pregnant by an American GI during the war).
- Call-Back: To "Summer of 4 ft. 2". Both episodes had a scene where the main focal character (Marge here, Lisa in the earlier episode) walks through town alone, lamenting the possibility that she's not meant to have friends.
- Coordinated Clothes: The group of friends called "The Cheery Red Tomatoes" wear red dresses and pink hats. Marge is very happy when they accept her as their member.Marge: I feel a happiness I've never felt. I not only have friends, I have a hat to prove it.
- Dye or Die: Played for Laughs. Tammy reveals that she isnt a natural redhead, which shocks Marge into fainting.
- Fictional Counterpart: The Cheery Red Tomatoes are based on the Red Hat Society (hence the episode title, even though the Tomatoes wear pink hats).
- Hairy Hammerspace: At the end of the episode, as Tammy laments the apparent failure of the Cheery Red Tomatoes' heist, Marge reveals she smuggled out at least one of Mr. Burns's twelve valuable Faberge eggs within her Beehive Hairdo.
- Jerkass: Instead of donating the check for $1 million, Mr. Burns uses it to extend his own life by ten minutes and then releases the hounds (who were being brought to their groomers) at an angry crowd.
- Running Gag. Moe constantly landing on hot air balloons