Through Professor Frink's future machine, Bart and Lisa see their lives in the year 2013, where Bart steals Lisa's chances at going to an Ivy League school in order to impress a skater girl named Jenda while Homer (now separated from Marge and living in an underwater apartment) fights Krusty the Clown after Marge begins dating him.
- Bad News in a Good Way: After Burns gives Bart Lisa's scholarshipBart: Listen Lis, I gotta tell ya something. I'm going to Yale.
Lisa: What? I don't want to go the same college as you!
Bart: Then I got some great news, you're not going to Yale.
- Call-Back: Surprisingly, to Homer Badman. Homer succeeded in fulfilling his goal of living under the sea.
- Cloning Blues: Moe does this to himself in a attempt to help run his bar.
- Conveniently Timed Distraction: Bart is working for the Kwik-E-Mart and he makes a delivery to Mr. Burns at his mansion. He is held at gunpoint by Snake's combination phaser/cellphone, but Bart saves Mr. Burns when Snake is distracted by a phone call on his phaser and Bart knocks him out with a large diamond.
- Flawed Prototype: Homer Simpson owns the first hover car ever made. It scratches the streets it's driven through.
- The Future Is Shocking: Apparently the future will be full of cyborgs and human clones.
- Future Loser:
- Bart as per usual (a lazy slob, though upbeat). Though this time he has a cool girlfriend and there is a possibility for a brighter future in that he might go to college and marry Jenda.
- Lisa further ahead in the future if Bart doesn't let her go to college. She might settle for Milhouse and be miserable with him, with little success at work.
- Guest Star: Amy Poehler as Jenda and John DiMaggio as Bender.
- How the Character Stole Christmas: Mr. Burns created the scholarship Lisa uses to go to Yale as reparations for somehow permanently taking away Christmas.Lisa: I miss Christmas.
- Hulk Speak: Milhouse after Lisa dumps him and goes on a rage.Milhouse: What's Lisa problem?! Milhouse mother say Milhouse is HANDSOME!!
- Ignored Epiphany: Future Bart realizes his life isn't going anywhere and wishes he could tell his younger self to straighten up so he doesn't turn out like him. However in the present timeline, past Bart is busy flinging cards into a top hat as he's announcing this.
- I'll Kill You!: Homer to Krusty when he finds out he's dating Marge.
- I Want My Jetpack: The year 2013 as seen from back in ... 2005. How could they be so wrong?
- Mushroom Samba: Ralph has one after Nelson spikes the punch.
- Parental Abandonment: Nelson does this to Sherri and Terri after they both give birth to twins who're his sons. Ironically doing the same thing his dad did to him.
- Pun-Based Title: A pun on Futurama.
- Reality Ensues: Homer's underwater home, where fish steal his patio furniture and he has to wait three hours decompressing before being able to get to the surface.
- Shout-Out: To Planet of the Apes; Homer and Bart pass a billboard urging people to give apes the vote, saying "You won't regret it!"
- Take That!: To Futurama (which, at the time, was canceled and rerunning on Cartoon Network's [adult swim] line-up)Bender: (After suddenly appearing in Homer and Bart's car after passing through a tunnel) Alright, you guys are my new best friends!
Homer: You wish, loser! (Homer tosses him out of the car and laughs as he breaks upon hitting the ground.)
- Teacher/Student Romance: Parodied at Moe's where Edna tries to seduce 18 year old Bart. It's nothing too squicky though.
- Took a Level in Badass: Milhouse got himself some muscles, but subverted as he still pines after Lisa.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Milhouse took one as a teenager, he's willing to let Lisa ruin her life just so he can be with her.
- Lisa also does this by accusing Bart of ruining her future and strangles him after the latter takes a scholarship.
- Ungrateful Bitch: Instead of being happy for Bart, Lisa strangles him when she learns he took the scholarship meant for her.