Homer stumbles upon an illicit affair between Apu and his Squishee delivery girl, and when Manjula finds out too, Apu is made to go on a "12 Labors of Hercules"-style journey to forgiveness.
- Artistic License History: Happens In-Universe with the Civil War reenactment, with lots of Anachronism Stew and Critical Research Failure too.Homer: Hey Apu, in a Civil War reenactment we need lots of Indians to shoot!
Apu: (beat) I don't know which part of that sentence to correct first.
- Bait-and-Switch: Homer tempts Barney, a recovering alcoholic, with some beer, saying one drink won't hurt. This sequence is deliberately set up to show Barney go on a drunken bender, not unlike what happened in "Deep Space Homer" (which was nonalcoholic champagne as well). When Barney finally drinks the beer... nothing happens.Barney: Oh... hey, you're right. I was afraid it would start me drinking again, but it didn't.
- Blatant Lies: Homer's attempt to convince Apu the keg he bought already had dents. He merely wrote "This keg had dents" and signed as "Apoo".
- Calling Your Attacks: During the Civil War reenactment:Lenny: (holding rifle) Bang, bang!
Carl: (holding pistols) Pow, pow!
Moe: (holding tree branch) Hit with stick, hit with stick!
- Continuity Nod: This is not the first time the family have tried to fix problems in Apu's life by having at least one of them pretend to be Ganesh. This attempt works about as well as the first one.
- Freudian Slippery SlopeHomer: The score is dirty love... I mean, thirty, love! I mean, anyone for penis?!... I'll just get the cock... shuttlecock!
- Genius Bonus: Played with, Homer has a dream where he watches Apu in an India like setting with Annette. Apu tells him in annoyance "Avert your eyes eunuch." This causes Homer to scream himself awake, but then looks up the dictionary to find the definition of Eunuch, which causes him to scream loud enough to wake Marge. Anyone who knows what a eunuch is, would understand why he screamed.
- Gilligan Cut: Homer wants to tell Krusty about Apu cheating on Manjula. Marge asks what that would do, and Homer says that Krusty's reaction would be hilarious. Smash Cut to Krusty:Krusty: (downbeat) That's sad. All those kids.
Homer: I think he's building to something.
- Overly Long Gag: Homer backing away after seeing Apu and Annette lasts for nearly a full minute, with him walking all the way from the Kwik-E-Mart to home, then continuing after he falls asleep. Then it continues at the end of the episode after he sees Apu with Manjula.
- Pietà Plagiarism: Homer does this with a keg of beer◊ after someone stabs a hole in it during the Civil War reenactment.Homer: This was supposed to be a mock battle! MOCK!!
- Shout-Out: Part of the Civil War reenactment is a giant mechanical spider controlled by Professor Frink, spoofing Wild Wild West.
- Take That!: On Apu's reincarnation chart, one of his past lives was a "clod" (Alfred E. Neumann from MAD magazine) and one of his future reincarnations is assistant to Saturday Night Live executive producer, creator, and showrunner Lorne Michaels.Apu: It is going to be a rough couple of lifetimes.
- Time-Travel Tense Trouble: Apu seems to already know what he's going to become when he gets reincarnated, and he mentions it like it already happened.
- Walking Backwards: Homer does this when he tries to return the dented keg and witnesses Apu and the squishee delivery girl having sex in the stockroom. He walks all the way back from the Kwik-e-mart to his house. He does this again in the last shot of the episode when Apu and Manjula reconcile and have sex. This time, he hops backwards on a latter, presumably all the way home.
- Your Cheating Heart: After a bad morning with Manjula and the octuplets and flirting with the squishee lady, he has sex with the squishee lady at the Kwik-e-mart. Homer accidentally witnesses it and tells Marge. Manjula later finds out when she watches the surveillance tape.