Apu turns up the romance for his wife on Valentine's Day, making every husband in Springfield jealous.
- Call-Back: Fantastic Dan, who lived in the Whack-A-Mole game on season nine's "Bart Carny", returns as the skywriter Apu hires.
- Contrived Coincidence: Homer thinks Apu brought Elton John to Springfield to serenade Manjula, when in fact, he had to stop his flight due to a broken chandelier.
- Hurricane of Puns: Apu makes puns on Elton John songs while he and Elton watch Homer fight the skywriter.Elton: That maniac nearly killed us!
Apu: Shall I... "take you to the pilot"? Hah! You see, because that is "your song"...
Elton: I heard you.
Apu: Yes, because... "someone saved your life tonight". (laughs)
Elton: (annoyed) Cut it out!
Apu: Well, well, "the bitch is back". (laughs again)
Elton: (irritated) Ugh!
- Irony: Moe assumes that Apu hired Elton John to sing for Manjula, but it turns out Apu was only going to the airport to hire Fantastic Dan for a skywritten message, while Elton's plane happened to have made an emergency landing in Springfield. Then, while Homer fights with Fantastic Dan, Apu and Elton encounter each other and Apu ends up doing what Moe thought he'd do.
- It's All About Me: Both the wives and the husbands that aren't Apu and Manjula. On the wives side of things, they are envious of the romantic gestures Apu gives his wives and proceed to be bitter towards their husbands as a result. Whilst on the husband's side, rather than simply trying to improve their own romantic lives (something Ned Flanders calls attention to), they feel they should take down Apu in order to stop the comparison.
- Lazy Bum: All the men in town would rather stop Apu from doing romantic things for his wife, so theirs won't expect the same treatment, than do anything special for them themselves.
- Never My Fault: When Homer asks who's to blame for their wives wanting the same kinds of romantic gestures as Apu gives Manjula, the bar patrons admit that they themselves are to blame. Homer butts in:Homer: Will you stop it? It's easy to blame ourselves but it's even easier to blame Apu!
- Only Sane Man: Flanders is the only one who continues to suggest that maybe they should drop trying to stop Apu, and instead just try to do something special for their wives for Valentines' Day. The others respond by kicking him out of Homer's car.
- Serious Business: Fantastic Dan takes his work very seriously.Homer: Hey! You with the scarf! Stop skywriting!
Dan: I have to deliver a message. It's the skywriters' code!
Homer: I am so sick of that damn code!
- Shout-Out: The chocolate factory which sends Manjula the chocolate Apu, which is in fact, Apu himself, is called "Baron Von's Munch House", a play on Baron Munchausen.
- Stage Name: Lampshaded.Apu: Elton John??
Elton: That's my name. (sheepishly) Well, not really.
- Take That! and Running Gag: Elton John gives Homer one of his Grammys. Homer immediately tosses it into a nearby trashcan.
- Why Won't You Die?: Fantastic Dan's reaction when Homer gets hit in the head with a variety of things while hanging upside down on the plane.