Naofumi and gang stay on the attack despite being trapped in the Pope's Great Cathedral, but its sacred subspace nullifies his Curse Shield, leaving them one step short. Naofumi turns to another, newly unlocked Curse Shield, but the dragon's wrath threatens to swallow his mind whole.
Tropes for this episode include:
- An Ice Person: The Queen was able to give the heroes an edge by encasing the Pope in ice with a spell.
- Attack Reflector: With Filo's help, Naofumi was able to throw the Pope's own Phoenix spell back at him.
- Bad Boss: When the Bishop warns the Pope that finishing the Cathedral spell will kill many of their followers, the Pope deems the sacrifice necessary, reasoning that those who die fighting against "the Devil" will be honored as a martyr.
- Blood Magic: "Blood Sacrifice" is a particularly powerful technique of Naofumi's Rage Shield. While it completely decimates his body, his blood shooting like fountains through his armor, it summons a monstrous bear trap-like creature that reduces the Pope into bloody viscera.
- Field Power Effect: The Cathedral the Pope traps them all in is a field spell that nullifies curses, rendering Naofumi's trump-card the Rage Shield useless. When the roof of the Cathedral spell finishes forming, the Pope is able to create hundred of reflections of himself like a kaleidoscope, all of whom capable of attacking. It also seems to be able to mess with his opponent's minds, disrupting Naofumi's ability to see his stats.
- Logical Weakness: By the time Naofumi manages to collect himself after being Blinded by Rage, the Pope had already wasted most of his mana attacking, defending and charging his Cathedral.
- Unblockable Attack: With a supercharge from Melty, Motoyasu's spear was able to pierce three of the Pope's otherwise unbreakable barrier spells with a single thrust.
- You Are Not Alone: At the expense of getting burned, Raphtalia, Filo and Melty were able to snap Naofumi out of his Unstoppable Rage so that he can use his new shield against the Pope.