Makes Zen to Me: Buttercup has to find inner peace after she is accused of being way too aggressive on Fuzzy Lumpkins.
Say Uncle: The girls' uncle comes to visit, but the girls accidently mistake a taffy-loving Sasquatch for him.
Makes Zen to Me contains examples of:
- Alas, Poor Villain: Bubbles takes pitty on Fuzzy after the severe beating Buttercup gave him.
- A Day in the Limelight: the episode is mainly about Buttercup.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: during his "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Mojo, the monk points out how Mojo failing to learn his lessons was all his fault, and finishes by stating youre not a monkey, youre a chimp. Theres a difference.
- Big "NO!": unleashed by Buttercup as she sees first hand in how bad a condition Fuzzy is due to her.
- Catchphrase Interruptus: The Narrator doesnt get to finish his The City of Townsville intro line, as hes interrupted by Fuzzy being slammed into a building.
- Cool Old Guy: The monk is incredibly patient and easygoing with Buttercup, despite her aggressive behavior. He even tells that it's okay to fight and end battles swiftly, but not to revel in victory and arrogance. This is something earns him an affectionate kiss to the head from Buttercup.
- Deadpan Snarker: The monk has a few sarcastic words of wisdom, especially when pointing that Mojo is a chimp, not a monkey, and there's a difference.
- Expansion Pack Past: apparently, Mojo Jojo has also been trained by the monk that teaches Buttercup, but could not complete his training since he only sought violence.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: The episode begins when Buttercup ruthlessly beats up Fuzzy even after he surrenders. Both her sisters and the doctors taking care of Fuzzy's injuries call her out on this, the latter even more or less labeling her a monster.
- Look Behind You: When fighting the monk, Mojo distracts him by claiming the monks shoes are untied.
- Misfortune Cookie: downplayed: Buttercup only considers her fortune cookie to be this, since it its message about not being violent and peace lies within doesnt fit her at all.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Buttercup delivers one of these to Fuzzy Lumpkins at the start of the episode, even continuing after Fuzzy already surrended.
- Old Master: the monk that teaches Buttercup about inner peace.
- Oh, Crap!: Mojos response when the monk gives Buttercup permission to beat him up.
- A Pupil of Mine, Until He Turned to Evil: Mojo Jojo to the monk. Of course, Mojo was already evil even when he became the pupil.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Buttercup goes from a Blood Knight to a far more calmer girl who actually likes meditating. For the duration of this episode at least.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Bubbles and Blossom call out Buttercup on her aggressive behaviour, or how she kept beating Fuzzy after he gave up already. Later, 3 doctors who are taking care of Fuzzy give her a scolding for the same reason.
- Warrior Monk: Despite his main practice being a zen teacher, the monk does know how to fight, as proven when Mojo Jojo attacks him.
- Wax On, Wax Off: Buttercups training involves making a painting with colored powder, raking, bonsai gardening, and learning to eat with chopsticks.
Say Uncle contains examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch: the episode opens with the traditional The City Of, but instead of Townsville, it turns out to be Long Ville, Minesota.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: A saquatch plays a major role in the episode.
- Former Teen Rebel: According to the professor, Eugene was quite a wild man in his younger days. He doesnt exactly look like one in the photograph he professor shows the girls though, but this story makes it easier for the girls to believe the sasquatch is Eugene.
- Goofy Print Underwear: a man at the Taffy festival gets his Taffy suit eaten by the sasquatch, leaving him in just his yellow with red dots boxers.
- Mistaken Identity: The girls mistake a sasquatch for their uncle. Later, at their house, the Professor cant tell the differenc either.
- Remember the New Guy?: Professor Utonium never mentioned having a brother before, nor did we ever see him. Upon hearing they even have an uncle, the girls are as surprised as the viewer.
- Trade Mark Favorite Food: Taffy for the sasquatch.