A couple gets trapped on a farm where an alien intelligence tries to communicate.
Tropes of Silence:
- All for Nothing: From the alien's perspective. It learns that we exist, but nothing else about us.
- Apocalyptic Log: Andy finds that Lamont has kept a journal documenting his encounters with the alien and his resulting Sanity Slippage.
- Cool Car: The Thornes drive a Mercury Monterey convertible.
- Drives Like Crazy: Lamont's wife does this while escaping the farm.
- First Contact Faux Pas: The alien's attempt to learn more about humanity goes pretty badly.
- Minimalist Cast: There are five characters, only three of which (the Thornes and Lamont) get significant screen time. Lamont's wife appears for just a few seconds and isn't clearly shown, while the bodiless alien remains unseen throughout the episode.
- Poor Communication Kills: The theme of the story. Lamont's fate provides a literal example.
- Screaming Woman: Karen basically shrieks her way through the episode.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: The alien comes all the way to Earth and goes to a lot of trouble to communicate with the lifeforms it senses — but just as it seems to be on the verge of success, it gives up and heads home.