Regina, Ben, and Francesca; An un-bee-lievable love triangle.
"Don't let me die without knowing tropes, Ben!"
- An Aesop: "Without love, drones can never be men, and men can only be drones."
- Bee Afraid: Especially when the bees involved are murderous, super-intelligent, and want to Take Over the World.
- Bittersweet Ending: Ben has finally gotten Regina to take a hint and buzz off. But his life will never completely go back to normal, since the mutant queen bee's machinations have left him widowed.
- Break Them by Talking: During his speech at the end, Ben intimidates Regina by angrily describing love and how it's the reason marriage isn't just some trophy for her to compete over.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Zig Zagged Trope. Regina is nice to her fellow bees; it's humans who need to watch out for her.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Regina becomes one, and she intends to use Ben as breeding stock to create more.
- Innocently Insensitive: When Regina appears before a grieving Ben in Francesca's wedding veil, she tries to feign this by claiming she found it and thought wearing it would make him laugh.
- Insect Queen: Regina, in both her bee and human forms.
- Kick the Dog: Regina knows Francesca once wanted a child and tries to twist the knife by aptly wondering if the guestroom used to be a nursery. It doesn't stop there when Regina spins a made-up past about having a narcissistic mother who looked down on her, purposefully guilt-tripping any jealous feelings Francesca might have.
- Meaningful Name: Regina means "queen", so what other name would a transformed queen bee choose?
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Poor, doomed Francesca. However, Regina realizes too late that Ben took his marriage too seriously to even consider leaving his wife.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Ben's speech to Regina at the end, after he learns that she's responsible for Francesca's death, has elements of this trope.
Ben: No one, nothing, can uproot that memory [of marriage]. No sudden, senseless tragedy, no willful murderer can rip it out and desecrate it!...That's our ritual, Regina. It's called life. And no evil, no inhuman mutation, has ever been able to stop it!
- Tranquil Fury: Suspecting that Regina was behind Francesca's death, Ben starts out confronting her with this level of fury before it gradually escalates into actual fury.
- Transformation Sequence: The episode opens with a surreal, almost dance-like scene of the queen bee turning herself into Regina.