Andy comes back from a camping trip as a much more assertive man and invites everyone to try the slackline he tried while there.
The office has two new guys. Dwight grows disillusioned with one of them after mistakenly trying to act as a father for him.
Jim, now in a moment of his life that he believes will never change, starts to fear his life has gone stale.
Angela tries to find someone who may adopt her cat Comstock.
- Blatant Lies: After Kelly travels to Miami, Ohio with her boyfriend Ravi, Ryan inexplicably packs up and leaves for Ohio too, for "unrelated reasons". In a talking-head segment filmed as he's eagerly awaiting his bus, Ryan states that he's leaving because Ohio is projected to become the new Silicon Valley.
- Call-Back: Michael's hatred for Toby is mentioned by Andy again.
- Continuity Nod: Andy's distaste for Nellie comes back, this time, he is much more willing to be openly aggressive against her.
- Foil: Pete to Jim, he's even called "The New Jim". Pete is young, attractive, cool and genuinely ambitious, though doing little to back his ambitions, exactly how Jim was like in the beginning of the series. Jim looks at him and realizes that, noticing his professional life has stilled.
- Put on a Bus: Kelly and Ryan. Kelly, now in a committed relationship, travels to Miami, in Ohio, with her boyfriend who becomes a teacher in a college. Ryan, still not over her, or rather the fact that she chose someone else over him, travels there to with the flimsy excuse that it will become the new Silicon Valley.
- Tempting Fate: When told that the camera crew is still around because they want to see how Jim and Pam turn out, Pam laughs them off and states that nothing interesting is probably going to happen to them for a long time. By the end of the episode, Jim has already done something drastic to change that.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Andy is much more mean when he comes back and thrives in torturing Nellie for no good reason other than he dislikes her. He also starts mistreating Toby out of the fact he stood in his way, saying he understands why Michael hated him.
- Your Cheating Heart: The Senator has officially started an affair with Oscar.