Michael must face the music when he has to tell a group of high schoolers that he cannot fulfill his promise to pay for their college education.
- Bait-and-Switch: Michael tries to talk his way out of paying for college by apparently promising to pay for laptops, only to end up promising to pay for laptop batteries.
- Bittersweet Ending: Michael is dejected that he didn't keep his promise, but Erin reassures him that the students are still on track to graduate high school (compared to only 30% for the rest of their graduating class) and that will still count for something.
- Comically Missing the Point: Michael says that, of all the empty promises he's made, promising the kids he'd pay for their college was by far the most generous.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Michael quickly realizes that going to the school will be this, and Stanley can't help but laugh at his predicament.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Pam tells this to Michael when she learns that he promised third graders that he would pay for college.