When corporate offers extra vacation days to whichever branch can lose the most weight, the Scranton branch goes to extreme measures to win the contest. Pam leaves the office to go to art school, Oscar sets up Holly with a yoga instructor, and Phyllis uses her leverage over Angela to take over the party planning committee.
- Blackmail: Phyllis is using Angela and Dwight's affair to bully Angela and get her to do what she wants.
- Call-Back: To the end of last season. By the time Season 5 starts, Holly still thinks that Kevin is mentally challenged.
- Dashed Plot Line: A low-key version. Parts 1 and 2 skip forward week-by-week over the entire summer, only showing the highlights of each week.
- Out of Character Is Serious Business: Once again Michael resists saying thats what she said in front of Holly, which does not go unnoticed by Jim.
- Staircase Tumble: Michael is not very graceful when he's in a hurry to say goodbye to Pam.
- Weight Woe: Kelly, one of the skinniest female characters in the show, is also the one who obsesses the most about weight loss, to the point of passing out and swallowing what she thinks is a tapeworm.