Valentine's Day sees the office celebrating. Phyllis receives a ton of presents from Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Dwight seeks advice from Pam about what to buy for Angela. Michael travels to New York City to give a presentation on the branch's financial performance.
Air date: February 9, 2006.
- Analogy Backfire: Dwight compares women to wolves.
- As Himself: Played with. Michael mistakes a woman with glasses for Tina Fey. Meanwhile, Conan O'Brien walks by without Michael noticing.
- Big Applesauce: Michael has some time to kill before the meeting, so he takes a walking tour around the city.New York, New York, so good they named it twice. Its other name is Manhattan.
- Department of Redundancy Department: In Michael's narration.Stanley's dedication is no doubt one of the hallmarks of foundation of the business we're hoping to build our basis on.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Josh Porter is featured in this episode as one of the branch managers. Next season, he becomes Jim's manager when Jim transfers to Stamford.
- Hypocritical Humor: Michael says he prefers to go to Times Square, while others go to the Empire State Building and he finds that "pretty touristy." Times Square is perhaps the most visited location in New York City.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Michael demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge about New York City. For instance, when seeing a river, he says it's either the Hudson or the East, which is unhelpful because these rivers are on opposite sides of Manhattan.
- Literal-Minded: Dwight's gift idea.Pam: Sometimes a gift is about what it means, instead of what it is.Dwight: You mean, like a ham?
- Oh, Crap!: At the end of the episode, Michael has defused the situation he started by spreading gossip about Jan. Against her better judgment, Jan gives in to her attraction to Michael and kisses him. She gives the camera an Oh, Crap! look when she realizes she's been filmed.
- Product Placement: Michael decides to go to his "favorite New York pizza joint," which is actually Sbarro's instead of the hundreds of local pizzerias.
- Shout-Out: Michael is very happy to pull this one off:Michael: I'll talk to David.Jan: Surely you cannot be serious.Michael: I am serious. (smiles wide) And don't call me Shirley. Airplane!
- Stunned Silence: After Michael's video finishes playing, no one knows what to say.
- Stylistic Suck: Michael's "introduction" video about the Scranton Branch. He's also baffled why people don't like it.
- What an Idiot!: Craig, the manager from Albany who showed up to the meeting without any of the information about his branch he was told to bring. He tries to deflect by bringing up Michael and Jan. Michael easily diffuses the situation by saying he made a very inappropriate joke that "Craig the idiot" took seriously.