Piglet is preparing a "best friend lunch" for himself and Pooh, but becomes nervous when he gets the hiccups. Soon, his hiccups are so powerful that they make him bounce around. When Winnie-the-Pooh arrives with a jar of honey, he thinks Piglet is playing a game and tries to join in. Piglet tries to explain that he has the hiccups but his hiccups get in the way of his speech. He tries writing it down but because he can't stay still and he never had good handwriting to begin with, his writing turns out illegible. They try to have their lunch anyway but when Piglet tries to bring the honey over, he accidentally throws it out the window. Pooh thinks that Piglet did it on purpose and wonders if he offended him somehow, so they both leave.
After a while, Piglet thinks his hiccups have gone, but they come back. Just then, Tigger arrives and when he notices that Piglet has the hiccups, he tries to help out by pouring a bucket of water down his throat because "hiccups are crummy swimmers".
This doesn't work, so Tigger takes Piglet to Owl, who has a method he learned from his maternal great-great-great uncle Ebeneezer: putting a hat on Piglet, then holding him upside down with Owl standing on the legs, the logic being that the hiccups would have to "hicc down". This doesn't work either.
Tigger and Owl take Piglet to Rabbit, who builds a "hiccup trap", using a cake as bait and having Piglet pretend to be asleep. This not only fails, but Eeyore gets caught in the trap.
Back at his place, Winnie-the-Pooh is talking to himself about how Piglet seemed a bit off but he can't put his finger on what exactly had changed. He supposes that Piglet might be unwell and thinks of making him a "feeling better" gift, deciding on honey.
That night, Tigger takes Piglet for a ride in a wagon, explaining that he plans to scare the hiccups away. Rabbit and Owl arrive, dressed as a pumpkin-headed ghost, but they fail to come across as scary, even to Piglet. Pooh then wanders along eating Piglet's honey and ends up with the jar on his head. Rabbit, Owl, and Tigger think Pooh is a monster and run away, startling Piglet, who jumps into the air, causing the wagon to roll down the hill with him in it. He bumps into Winnie-the-Pooh and his hiccups go away. When he says so, Pooh is glad to hear that Piglet just had the hiccups and wasn't sick. They go home for a friendship dinner and another friendship lunch the next day.
Rabbit then gets puffed-out and tells Owl and Tigger to go along without him, but Owl is too "noble" and Tigger doesn't want to leave his friends behind, so they all stop. Pooh and Piglet arrive and everyone goes home, only Owl, Tigger, and Rabbit now have the hiccups so Piglet repeats Tigger's advice.
This episode provides examples of
- Artistic License Biology: Owl gets the hiccups, even though real birds lack the necessary anatomy.
- Caretaker Reversal: When Tigger, Rabbit, and Owl get the hiccups, Piglet suggests curing them the same way they tried to help him, causing the three of them to hightail it.
- Continuity Nod: This is the second time Pooh with a honey jar on his head has been mistaken for a monster. The first was in "Piglet Meets a Heffalump".
- Here We Go Again!: The episode ends with Tigger, Rabbit, and Owl having the hiccups.
- Hiccup Hijinks: The whole plot is about trying to get rid of Piglet's hiccups.
- Lovable Coward: The good-natured Piglet admits to being a "cowardly scaredy-cat".
- Oh, Crap!: When Tigger realizes Piglet's hiccups are gone, he wonders where they went. Then he, Rabbit, and Owl start hiccuping.Tigger: Uh oh.
- Or My Name Isn't...: Tigger says he will help Piglet get rid of his hiccups "or my name ain't"... then forgets his own name.Tigger: Whatever it is my name ain't.
- Poor Communication Kills: Due to Piglet's hiccups, Pooh thinks Piglet is upset, and due to Pooh leaving because of that, Piglet thinks that Pooh is mad at him. Fortunately, they clear the situation up by the end of the episode.
- Slapstick: Many gags about Piglet's hiccups making him bounce around and bump into things, Eeyore gets caught in the trap, and Piglet gets sent rolling down the hill after jumping from being startled.
- Super Drowning Skills: Tigger believes hiccups are "crummy swimmers".