Home of the Fave: After a pun-filled trip to the grocery store with Luan and Lola, Dad worries Lola thinks he plays favorites.
Hero Today, Gone Tomorrow: When Lynn's friend Margo is celebrated for a one-in-a-million soccer goal, Lynn has to try and be supportive.
"Home of the Fave"
- 6 Is 9: When Lola and Mr. Loud are playing pageant, Lola seems to give him a score of 9, but the card was upside down and his real score is 6, which he's okay with.
- An Aesop:
- Don't jump to conclusions.
- You can't please everyone.
- Breaking The Cycle Of Bad Parenting: Its revealed that Lynn Sr's father played favorites when he was a kid. When he fears he is doing the same thing with his own kids with Luan, he makes a genuine effort to spend equal time with all his children.
- When Mr. Loud decides to spend time with Lincoln, the two watch Legends of the Hidden Temple together.
- When Mr. Loud decides to spend time with Lily, he dresses up as Fenton the Feel-Better Fox and dances for her.
- Here We Go Again!: At the end of the episode, Charles, Walt, and Geo think that Mr. Loud is playing favorites with Cliff.
- Hold Up Your Score: Lola does this when she and Mr. Loud are playing pageant.
- Hurricane of Puns: Mr. Loud and Luan make a lot of puns at the grocery store. This causes Lola to feel left out.
- Noodle Incident: When Mr. Loud tells Mrs. Loud that he's going to spend more time with Lola, she tells him to not buy her another pony, since it didn't work out the last time he did that.
- Parental Favoritism: The main theme of the episode is that Mr. Loud thinks that he might be playing favorites, so he tries to give the kids equal attention. The episode also reveals that his own dad played favorites.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story:
- In the end, it is revealed that the reason why Lola was upset when she, Mr. Loud and Luan went to the grocery store wasn't necessarily because of the time the latter two spent together, but because the lady at the check-out line wouldn't give her a free balloon, saying she didn't deserve it.
- Lynn wasn't jealous of Mr. Loud spending time with Lola instead of working out with her. She was just upset that her favorite quarterback was injured and would be out for the rest of the season.
- Shout-Out: Mr. Loud ends up sitting on Charles' doghouse, similar to Snoopy.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Luan's is revealed to be beef stroganoff.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: When Mr. Loud gets into a dress and plays with Lola.
"Hero Today, Gone Tomorrow"
- An Aesop:
- Always be supportive of your friends.
- You can't win at everything, and sometimes winning isn't worth what you lose in the process.
- Artistic License Sports: Paula, who has a broken leg and walks around with a crutch, participates in the game. In real life, she wouldn't be allowed to play due to her injury.
- Dark Horse Victory: When Lynn and Margo try to make up with each other, they each want each other to score the winning goal, but neither one of them wants to do it out of respect for each other. In the end, it's Paula who scores the winning goal.
- Green-Eyed Monster: The episode has Lynn being jealous of Margo not for making the winning goal (in fact, Lynn was the one who passed the ball to Margo to make the shot when she couldn't do it herself and she was perfectly fine cheering Margo on with everyone else during the initial victory), but for the resulting fame everyone heaps on Margo in increasing amounts (from the sensible such as classmates cheering her on to being able to get a free pass on a class test and her library fine being taken down for free) is what drives Lynn mad with jealousy.
- Mundane Solution: In order to get back into the spotlight, Lynn decides to just score her own one-in-a-million winning goal at another game. It takes a few mis-tries, but it works...and costs her Margo's friendship, especially since she made said goal by getting in the way of Margo's already clear shot just to get the glory.