The LITs investigate the disappearance of a college mascot, only to find that there is more to the university than it seems...
- Attack of the Monster Appendage: How the Monster of the Week is shown until the end of the episode.
- Big "WHAT?!": Cassandra freaks out when she hears the cheer squad's Latin cheer. She doesn't explain what it means, to Eve's consternation.
- Comically Missing the Point: When a Wexler cheerleader is casually talking about all the weird stuff that happens on campus as the cheer team prepares for a football game against the University of Michigan, Baird's incredulous reaction is not to the obviously abnormal happenings, but to the idea that Wexler's football team stands a chance against Michigan's.
- Extranormal Institute: What Wexler University is. After the death of the founder, people try to downplay it but it is still weird.
- It's All About Me: Professor Bankroft and Lucy have moments of it that lead to their abductions, but Ezekiel takes the cake when he's used as bait to distract the monster and spouts endlessly about how great he is. Stone goes along with all of it until Ezekiel claims he's probably a better singer than Stone. Stone's actor, Christian Kane, happens to have a career as a country singer.
- Magic Versus Science: The Lake Foundation exists to serve those who avert this, deciding to use the two in tandem.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: Played with. The Wexler cheer squad's cheer is in Latin, delivered with typical cheerleader pep. Cassandra definitely finds the content of it ominous, however.note
- Pride: The monster is drawn to and feeds on acts of hubris.
- Refusal of the Call: Cassandra turns down the Lake Foundation's very appealing offer to join their ranks.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He died saving Ezekiel. Poor Stumpy.
- Kill the Cutie: Stumpy the gargoyle is crushed by the monster's tentacles.
- They Called Me Mad!: Literally the quote on Wexler's statue.
- Time Stands Still: The Lake Foundation pulls this trick as Cassandra is being pursued by the monster, using the opportunity to give her a job offer.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: What the people of Wexler appear to do when weird things happen. They consider it normal for universities to have a one out of five of students and teachers suddenly transferring/leaving/shifting, the disappearance of a bus load of people with their clothes left behind as a prank, and so on.
- Weird Science: Said word for word when Eve comments on the impossible yet working mini particle accelerator due to how the ambient magic affects it.
- Why Are You Looking at Me Like That?: After realizing that they need someone egotistical to bait the monster, everyone looks straight at Ezekiel.
- Your Head Asplode: Implied to be how Josiah Wexler died. When asked to clarify, Jenkins mimes his own head exploding, complete with gory sound effects.