Will Smith moves from West Philadelphia to Bel-Air, CA to live with his affluent aunt and uncle. His street-smart attitude immediately clashes with his family's uptight lifestyle, especially when attending dinner with his uncle Philip's law firm colleagues.
This episode provides examples of the following tropes:
- Fish out of Water: Will's casual attitude and street slang immediately put him at odds with his wealthy and formal uncle, aunt, and cousins, particularly Carlton, who are usually shocked by his behavior.
- Hidden Depths: After being embarrassed by Will's uncouth nature at dinner, Philip is impressed seeing his nephew play Für Elise on the piano.
- Not So Different: Philip reveals to Will near the end of the episode that he knows exactly what it was like to live on the streets, having grown up in Baltimore.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: Geoffrey the butler puts off opening the door for as long as possible while hearing Will beatboxing on it.
- Singing in the Shower: Will and Ashley overhear Carlton putting on an entire concert in one at the end of the episode, to their amazement.
- Underdressed for the Occasion: Philip is mortified to see Will wearing his cap, sneakers, and a colorful shirt with his tuxedo during the family's dinner meeting with his firm.