Arrival at Tycho Station is tense, but the Rocinante crew defuses the situation by explaining what is going on at Eros and where the data is going. Fred Johnson pulls together a strike team from rival Outer Planets Alliance factions, killing one of their leaders in the process. Rocinante is assigned as the mission's muscle, engaging the station's defenses and clearing a path for the boarding party. The station is not prepared to defend itself, and falls easily to the team. On capturing the lead scientist on the project, Antony Dresden, the man is uninterested in who he answers to as long as he can continue his work. While explaining the source, dangers, and possibilities of the protomolecule, he is shot in the head by Miller.
This episode contains the following tropes:
- Admiring the Abomination: Doctor Dresden has a serious case of this. He almost sells Holden and Fred Johnson on it.
- Boom, Headshot!: Miller deals with Doctor Dresden this way.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The OPA finds the military onboard the station to be woefully unprepared.
- Cutting the Knot: Fred Johnson deals with the head of Black Sky challenging his authority by airlocking him.
- For Science!: Doctor Dresden's motivation. He has no loyalty to The Conspiracy.
- Herr Doktor: Doctor Dresden invokes a lot of these tropes. Also, Mad Scientist and For Science!.
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: The horrific experiments conducted on Eros, the scientists, and others all invoke this.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Destroying Phoebe Station to deny it to Earth ends up escalating the tension between factions.
- Revenge Before Reason:
- Miller kills Doctor Dresden before a deal can be struck between him, Holden, and Fred Johnson. ZigZagged, since Miller didn't want a deal to be struck, believing that if Dresden were allowed to continue his work, he could commit further acts of genocide.
- To a lesser extent, the Martians against Earth since they've been itching for a fight since Mars made severe concessions to avoid their last war.
- Unwinnable Training Simulation: Alex runs through a doomed assault on Thoth Station before we discover that it's just a simulation.