Yet another in the long line of Brady episodes featuring one of the kids — and it would happen to all of them at least once through the course of the series — getting an inflated ego through compliments or an outstanding achievement and making sure everyone knows about their success, only for it to come crashing down when they either push their luck or karma working against them.
Your turn, Cindy. Even ... "You Can't Win Them All."
Cindy and Bobby have been invited to take an audition test for a Game Show based on various TV academic decathalon shows (most notably College Bowl); this one is called "Question the Kids," and is modified in a basic Q&A for fourth- through sixth-graders. Cindy studies and, because she gets one of the top four scores, wins a spot on her school's team. Bobby brushes off studying, and the result is predictable.
As much as it is no real big deal for Bobby, just another lesson learned, it becomes a HUGE deal for Cindy. Because of her newfound success and over-excitement about appearing on live television, Cindy becomes convinced she is THE next super-game show contestant and TV star ... oh, and she makes sure everyone (her siblings, parents and even Alice) don't forget it, and woe onto everyone who does. Naturally, this annoys everyone to the point they lose their enthusiasm for Cindy even appearing on TV ... even to the point where they wonder aloud what would happen if she were to do poorly on TV.
Well, the Brady kid that said that wins the grand prize (ding, ding, ding) ... because that's exactly what happens once the cameras go on. Cindy can only blankly stare at the camera and doesn't move, while her teammates coolly and confidently answer the questions. Needless to say, Cindy is brought to earth quickly, but Mike assures her that stage fright can happen to anyone. Bobby then adds that he is the real dummy for not studying, because he knew he was capable of winning a spot on "Question the Kids." (Oh, and the other kids forgive their youngest sister.)
Tropes present in this episode:
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Cindy, who constantly flaunts her would-be fame.
- Game Show: An Academic Bowl-type show for elementary school kids, called — inventively enough — "Quiz the Kids."
- Laser-Guided Karma: After putting up with Cindy bragging about her looming TV stardom, one of the kids has enough and wishes that she'd fail on TV. It was an offhanded remark made in frustration, but that's exactly what happens in the end.
- Performance Anxiety and Stage Fright: When the cameras begin to roll, Cindy wilts under pressure.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Cindy, who's ego grows and grows and grows throughout the episode.