Penny gets fired from her movie and takes a serious look at her life decisions. Raj and Sheldon go to the movies and see Emily on a date with another guy, causing Raj to think about his relationship with her. Mrs. Wolowitz breaks her leg, and Howard and Bernadette have to become her care-givers.
- Call-Back: Penny's Anne Frank play over a bowling alley and her hemorrhoid commercial are mentioned.
- Fake Shemp (In-Universe): After Penny got fired, the director planned on having somebody wear a gorilla mask for the remainder of the film as they just finished the last scene with her in it.
- Gilligan Cut:Wil Wheaton: If you fire her, you're gonna have to fire me too. [cut to him and Penny at a bar] Wow, that went bad very quickly.
- Jerkass: The director for Serial Ape-ist 2. He clearly does not care about the movie to the point of looking at his phone during a shoot, calls Penny a terrible actress to her face, and fires her and Wil for trying to stand up for each other.
- Motivation on a Stick: Invoked when Howard jokes about using a fishing pole and a honey glazed ham to get his mother to use the treadmill.
- Out of Focus: Amy, as she only appears in one scene and has no plot relevance.
- Took the Bad Film Seriously (In-Universe): Penny decides that rather than complain about the film like she did before, she'll go in with a positive attitude. Shame that the director did not have the same mindset.
- Wham Episode: Leonard and Penny finally get engaged!