Howard reminds Leonard of their "girlfriend pact," that is, if one of them ever found a hot girlfriend, he was obligated to set the other up with one of her hot friends. Reluctantly, Penny sets him up with Bernadette (marking the first appearance of Melissa Rauch, who later joins the main cast). At first, they don't have much in common, then they bond over their terrible mothers.
Meanwhile, Sheldon agrees to participate in a role-playing tournament with Raj, because Wil Wheaton will be competing.
- As Himself / The Cameo: The first appearance by Wil Wheaton, playing a "bad guy" version of himself.
- Auto Erotica: Bernadette and Howard each lost their virginity in a Toyota.
- Double Date: Leonard and Penny with Howard and Bernadette; it's incredibly awkward at first, but it gets better.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Provides the page quote. Wil Wheaton is wearing a "Fruit Fucker" t-shirt.
- Hot Scientist: Bernadette is a graduate student in Microbiology.
- Lost in Imitation: Throughout Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Khan repeatedly quotes Captain Ahab from Moby-Dick. Most of Sheldon's Wrath of Khan quotes were originally Moby-Dick quotes, more or less:Ahab: I'll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up.Khan: I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia, and round the Antares Maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up.Sheldon: I have chased you round the Moons of Nibia, and round the Antares Maelstrom, and round perditions flames.
- Nerds Speak Klingon: Referenced first when Penny says she told Bernadette Howard speaks five languages. He adds that he speaks six, if you count Klingon. Sheldon then speaks Klingon, which Wil Wheaton understands to mean "Revenge is a dish best served cold."
- Only Known by Their Nickname : One of the comic book store's patrons is known as "Captain Sweatpants."
- Photographic Memory: Sheldon's is discussed.
- Say My Name: "WHEATOOOON!"
- The Scream: Sheldon's Say My Name moment is accompanied by an Astronomic Zoom. It's a reference to Kirk's "KHAAAN!" scream from Wrath of Khan.
- Silence, You Fool!: Sheldon keeps telling Raj "Silence!" when he interrupts his rants against Wheaton.
- Your Mom: Raj makes a couple of these burns when he beats a tournament player.