Penny invites the guys for Thanksgiving dinner. Raj is in danger of being deported and has to find another job. Leonard and Penny can't find alone time, while Howard tries to replace Raj.
- Boomerang Bigot: Upon learning he's at risk of running out of grant money on his astrophysics research, Raj starts badmouthing his own home country (India) for being hot, loud and overpopulated when he fears getting deported there.
- The Drag-Along: Without Raj around, Howard gets real clingy to Leonard and Penny who want some privacy.
- Eloquent in My Native Tongue: Referenced when Raj is arguing with Sheldon.Raj: If we were discussing this in my native language, I would be winning right now.
Sheldon: English is your native language!
Raj: All right, you got me there, but you're still wrong about this!
- Hard-Work Montage: One of the funniest moments of the season, with Sheldon and Raj staring at equations, set to "The Eye of the Tiger." Gets a reprise at the end, with Sheldon and Raj in a Power Walk.
- Insistent Terminology: Sheldon insists that Raj is working for him, not with him.
- Raj claims astro means space. Sheldon corrects him that astro means star. Celestial means space.
- The Lancer: Sheldon references this stock character.Like the subordinate male protagonist in countless action movies who disappears halfway through the second reel, I have returned to save the day.
- In Vino Veritas: While interviewing for a new position, Raj is offered a drink. He refuses, but then the woman who would work with him comes by and he decides to drink a little to be able to talk with her. Then he drinks a little more and he offers to discuss things further at his hot tub. Needless to say, he loses the job.
- Lethal Chef: Mrs. Wolowitz makes something called a tur-briske-fil (a turkey stuffed with a brisket stuffed with gefilte fish).It's not as good as it sounds.
- Mean Boss: Unsurprisingly, Sheldon is very unpleasant to have as an employer/boss.
- Moment Killer: Howard interrupting Leonard and Penny.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Parodied when Penny and Leonard start making out in Sheldon's spot on the couch. As they do, there's a knock on the door (actually from Howard) and Penny says "How does he know?"
- Noodle Incident: Why Penny's brother is on trial.You'd like him. He's kind of a chemist...
- Operator from India: Raj's brother is "Dave from AT&T."
- Overpopulation Crisis: Raj complains that India is overcrowded with billions of people, and hed hate to be deported back there.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Played with. Raj's research has stagnated, so for the past six months, he's done next to nothing at work. Sheldon suggests Raj become a pirate...because they do next to nothing.
- Third Wheel: Howard wants to spend time with Leonard and Penny, interrupting their "couples time." He even refers to the trope.
- Would Rather Suffer: Raj would rather swim naked across the Ganges River with paper cuts on his nipples and die a slow agonizing death from infection than work with Sheldon. He was of course exaggerating because he then runs to Sheldon begging for the job.