- Book-Ends: Francis is seen holding his crying infant son early on. The end of the bad timeline near the end of the episode has Francis crying while holding his deceased adult son who was killed by his own victory.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin': Francis didn't think it would hurt to try and steal the golden watch. But between a series of bad luck and his clumsiness which results in a downed power line and the destruction of a gas tanker truck, Francis is caught and sent to prison for several years.
- Disaster Dominoes: Francis stealing a watch combined with his clumsiness results in a gas tanker truck blowing up. This apparently bumps up his sentence to 17 years.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: After wasting a lifetime in prison away from his wife and son (and becoming a bad guy along the way), Francis finds himself back in the past, where he decides to not steal the watch. Because of his choice, he gets to be with his son and raise him, and the two run a clock-repair business together as father and son.
- 11th-Hour Superpower: After watching his son die due to his own plan for revenge, Francis gains the ability to turn back 20 years in time as he wanted to the moment before he screwed up his life by stealing the pocket watch.
- The Klutz: Francis isn't the most coordinated man in the world. In fact, his clumsiness played a part in landing him in jail. After gaining his ability to rewind time, Francis uses it to make up for his tendency to trip over his own feet.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Francis won, but his moment became a Pyrrhic Victory as his son got caught in the gas, killing him.
- My Greatest Failure: One of Francis' biggest regrets is that his powers aren't strong enough to rewind back to the moment before he stole the gold watch.
- My Greatest Second Chance: After successfully reversing time to the moment in the clock shop, Francis chose to not steal it and goes home.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Both a big one and a small one come from Francis deciding not the steal the golden watch. The big one? Gotham won't be poisoned and will live to see more New Years to come. The small one? Francis and his son go on to run a clock repairing business and fix Bruce Wayne's grandfather clock.
- Spanner in the Works: Batman advises Francis that he always has a choice. The Dark Knight also tracked Francis' son as a way to help persuade Francis against destroying Gotham. Unwittingly, while he doesn't stop Francis in time, the shock of it sends Francis back to the moment before he stole the watch. The advice ends up convincing Francis to make the right choice.
Recap / The Batman S 4 E 8 Seconds