Ethan finds himself melting into clay. After scaring people by begging for help, he tries to adjust to his changing body and mind. The Joker's words about "one day turning a man into a monster" come back to him, and he decides to enact his revenge on Detective Rojas for suspending him.
Tropes for this episode include:
- And I Must Scream: Ethan at first when he's trying to beg for help.
- Bat Deduction: Bruce and Yin have independent ones that make them realize Ethan is Clayface.
- Bittersweet Ending: Yin and Batman save Detective Rojas and decide to form a partnership. Ethan disappears, however, and sadly spies on his former best friend and partner.
- Character Development: Yin finally sees that the city needs Batman, for better or for worse.
- The End... Or Is It?: During their coffee, Bruce and Yin see Ethan watching them from across the street and quickly disappearing. They're left realizing he could be anywhere and be anyone.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Ethan justifiably needs a while to learn how to work his new powers.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Batman and Yin try to do this to Clayface before he can commit murder. Yin ends up succeeding by way of...
- Irony: Yin, of all people, defending Batman.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Yin sheds a Single Tear when she figures out Ethan is Clayface, having remembered the fact that she treated his Clayface persona like a criminal earlier in the episode without so much as an attempt to recognize him, which permanently puts an end to their partnership.
- Mythology Gag: While taking the form of the Joker, Clayface says the only thing that separates normal people and freaks is "just one rotten day."
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business:Ethan: You? Defending the Batman? I never thought I'd see the day. Yin...(tearing up) what's become of us?
- Properly Paranoid: Clayface doesn't need Batman to answer to know he had a rotten day himself once.
- What You Are in the Dark: Ellen Yin has an opportunity to unmask Batman after he grapples with Clayface, who knocks him unconscious. She realizes that she can't do it, and waits for him to wake up.