Return to Recap: The Smurfs.
A Smurf dreams to be able to travel to the stars. To that end, he builds a spaceship that operates on pedal power attached to a propeller at the bottom of the ship.
Tropes associated with this story include
- Adaptation Dye-Job: The Papercutz English translation changes the Schlips (renamed the Swoofs) from orange to green.
- Adaptation Name Change: Besides the Schlips being renamed Swoofs, Harmony Smurf was renamed Rocker Smurf in the original English translation of the story.
- Are We There Yet?: During the trip to the volcano, the Smurfs ask "Is it really that much farther, Papa Smurf?" several times. They also do this on the return trip home.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Done by Papa Smurf to his little Smurfs when they ask one Are We There Yet? too many.
- Cannot Keep a Secret: The title character tells one inquisitive Smurf about the spaceship he's intending to build and warns him to keep it a secret. However, that Smurf ends up telling another Smurf, and soon enough the whole village knows about it!
- Casual Interstellar Travel: Failed. Astro Smurf built himself a space rocket but couldn't even get it to take off. The other Smurfs set up an elaborate hoax to convince him he had actually made it to another planet.
- Faceless Masses: Because the Smurfs all looked alike as Schlips, Papa Smurf had a hard time picking out which one was Hefty so he could fight Astro Smurf. He made his best guess, only to find out that the Smurf...er, Schlip that he picked was Vanity!
- Fauxtastic Voyage: The Smurfs disguise as caveman-like creatures named Schlips to allow Astro Smurf to fulfill his dream.
- Flower from the Mountaintop: One of Astro's challenges to become a Schlip is to get an edelweiss flower from the top of a mountain before sundown, and given that this task takes place around sundown, this gives Astro very little time to accomplish it. After being unable to climb up the mountain, Astro sees a stork and uses it to complete the challenge in record time.
- Perma-Stubble/Tribal Face Paint: The off-color rings around the Schlips' mouths could be interpreted as either.
- Slipping a Mickey: Papa Smurf puts one in the raspberry juice to make Astro Smurf fall asleep for his journey to the world of the Schlips and for the return trip. Of course, the sleeping potion eventually wears off, requiring constant drugging to keep Astro asleep.
- Symbol Swearing: Papa Smurf as Grandpa Swoof in the non-English versions when he finds out that the rock he had Astro Smurf try to swim across the lake carrying was pumice stone.
- We Are Not Going Through That Again: Yelled by the Smurfs at the end of the story when another Smurf suggests how he could make a trip to outer space.