ImaginaryDemon!Richard: Just act like you own the place. I mean wheres the harm in that?Richard creates chaos in the Chanax building when he is mistaken for the long lost founder. Nicole and a disgruntled employee must save everyone before Richard's dangerous ideas destroys Chanax.
- Bavarian Fire Drill: Done accidentally by Richard. To get to the vending machine in the lobby without being asked if he works here, he acts like he owns the place. Unfortunately, he takes it too literally, actually saying it when asked, and thus being mistaken for the Chanax founder.
- Catch-22 Dilemma: Nicole has to pay the cable bill in person instead of doing it online because they need to pay the bill in order to have Internet service.
- Crowd Song: After Martin mistakes Richard for the founder, he calls Karen and she bursts into song, followed by the other employees. The only one who doesn't sing it all correctly is Fenton (the corn cob), who sings a part of the chorus too late and mispronounces a word.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Done in a recursive way. Richard has a devil on his shoulder, who has an angel on his shoulder, who in turn has a devil on his shoulder.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After spending many episodes doing corrupt deeds and enslaving the spirits of workers, the Chanax building finally collapses thanks to Richard's ideas.
- Lower-Deck Episode: An episode that solely focuses on the Watterson parents. Gumball, Darwin, and Anais do appear, but only in a brief scene of them waiting for their Internet to be reconnected.
- No Such Thing as Bad Publicity: The reason why the Goblin calls Richard a "marketing genius" for removing the building's foundations.Goblin: We'll be all over the front pages! And the sidewalk. But I get it! It's like the Titanic: crashing that boat made it an international superstar!
- The Other Darrin: In-Universe: One employee, the farmer from The News in the Chanax commercial is asked to jump down the elevator shaft, which is supposed to be replaced by a slide; Richard tells him they'll edit the slide in later when it's installed. When the employee comes down the slide on the next shot, he is clearly the butterknife in a wig.
- Seemingly Profound Fool: The Chanax board of directors mistake Richard for the founder of the company and implement all his suggestions without questioning, resulting in the building being destroyed.
- Series Continuity Error: "The Boss" showed Chanax was run by Mr. Chanax (the crumpled piece of paper) for four hundred years, and the green goblin and soulless office worker were there when he died. In this episode, Chanax was founded and owned by someone no one has ever seen.
- "The Code" from season five revealed that the Wattersons' Internet connection is actually Gaylord and Margaret Robinson's Internet connection. Either the writers forgot or Nicole found out and decided to get Internet connection for the family.
- This Is What the Building Will Look Like: The Goblin is about to unveil the model for the new Chanax building when Richard stops him, saying it's perfect without the tarp being removed.
- Wacky Startup Workplace: When Richard is mistaken for the founder of Chanax, he attempts to turn the company into a wacky workplace, with pizza ovens and hammocks in every cubicle, elevators with Dance Dance Revolution-style controls, and slides replacing stairwells. It goes about as well as you would imagine.
- You Put the "X" in "XY": In the Chanax commercial, Richard says "We're putting the 'fun' back in 'functionality'. Funfunctionality."