Superman rescues a dog, Corky, who's fallen into a well. The dog happens to belong to the wife of a mobster named Hank, who despises the animal because his wife prefers it to her husband. However, he correctly anticipates that if the dog is let loose it will track down Superman, and thus reveal his true identity. While Clark tries to explain to his co-workers why Corky has developed such a fondness for him, Hank offers a $5,000 reward for the dog's return.
This episode contains examples of:
- Artistic License Biology: Dogs may have super senses by human standards, but not to the point of Corky being able to track down Clark at the Daily Planet office when he's only met him once in a completely different location.
- Bittersweet Ending: Hank's scheme is foiled, and he goes to jail, but Clark has to send Corky away for good because of his secret identity.Lois: What's a matter, Clark? You look like as though you lost your best friend.
Clark: Maybe I have, Lois. Maybe I have.
- Henpecked Husband: Hank has a bad case of this, partly because his wife is his boss's daughter.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Superman bonds with Corky instantly.
- Mister Muffykins: Joyce treats Corky like this, although he's somewhat bigger than the usual model.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Apparently one of Superman's powers, as he's able to talk Corky into going back to his owners.