After an unsuccessful fishing trip, Perry and Jimmy stop at a rural hotel, whose owner Perry knows. However, once they arrive, they quickly find that all is not well — someone new who doesn't want visitors has taken over the hotel and, given the former owner's skeleton in the cellar, it didn't happen peacefully. When Superman notices something, he goes after them, but will he arrive before the three villains make his coworkers disappear permanently?
This episode includes examples of the following tropes:
- Antagonist Title: The episode is named after the villains.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Superman doesn't originally display any aggressiveness when he turns up looking for his missing friends. However, when Colonel Brand tells him that Perry and Jimmy are already dead and tries to stab him, Superman collars him as he demands their location. Upon finding the owner, he grabs him and threatens to break all his bones if he doesn't tell him where his friends are.
- Creepy Basement: The cellar of the hotel where Perry and Jimmy spend the night is shadowy and has the skeleton of the former owner chained to a wall.
- Distressed Dude: Perry and Jimmy are the designated rescuees for this episode.
- Evil Cripple: One of the titular three is a wheelchair-bound woman. Subverted in that she protests the other two's plans to murder Perry and Jimmy, if only because she doesn't want more blood on her conscience than what she has from one of the others killing his uncle to gain ownership of the hotel.
- Friendship Moment: When one of the three appears as a "ghost" to scare their unwanted guests, Jimmy freaks out and screams for his boss. Perry rushes into the room and asks him what happened. After the young reporter tells him, Perry clearly doesn't believe the "haunting" happened but tries to calm Jimmy down.
- Hand Signals: After the authorities have been summoned, Superman offers to fly Perry and Jimmy back to Metropolis. Perry turns him down. After waiting a few moments, Jimmy does the "come closer" gesture and quietly asks Superman if he can take him up on that offer later. Superman answers that it's fine any time.
- Heroes Gone Fishing: At the beginning of the episode, Perry and Jimmy are on a fishing trip. Apparently, it didn't go very well as Perry's crabbiness and Jimmy's lack of experience caused the two to get on each other's nerves.
- Punch! Punch! Punch! Uh Oh...: One of the villains tries to kill Superman with his sword, unaware that Superman is invulnerable. He gets audibly freaked out when the sword breaks and the Man of Steel grabs him.
- "Scooby-Doo" Hoax: The villains say that the hotel is haunted to scare off visitors. One of them even pulls a "haunting" to scare Jimmy, but this doesn't affect his boss in the slightest and they still go poking around.
- Shadow Discretion Shot: Jimmy struggling with one of the bad guys and the other knocking him out with a blow to the head is shown in the shadows thrown on the wall.
- Staircase Tumble: When one of the villains finds the wheelchair-bound woman helping Perry and Jimmy, he pushes her wheelchair down the stairs.
- When I Was Your Age...: Perry tells Jimmy that "when I was your age, a few mosquitoes didn't bother me."
- You Called Me "X"; It Must Be Serious: Perry, talking to the terrified Jimmy, calls him "Jim" rather than "Olsen".