After finding out El Moco is putting together an army to attack San Lorenzo tomorrow, Puss decides the only defense is to restore the spell protecting San Lorenzo, but his attempt to replicate the spell accidentally brings Atrephius's house to life instead.
- Bittersweet Ending: The spell that brought Owlberto to life begins to wear off before Artephius had any real chance to appreciate it, but in its dying moments, Owlberto produces the scroll with the spell that can restore the barrier to San Lorenzo.
- Companion Cube: Fitting with his eccentric personality, Artephius had been treating Owlberto like it was a person and celebrating its birthday even before it actually came to life.
- Deus ex 'Scuse Me: In addition to her riddles not stopping as many thieves as one would like, The Sphinx is straight up not around when it would be useful to be.Sphinx: Hey guys... I missed something again, didn't I?
- Genius Loci: Owlberto, Atrephius's house and shop, is brought to life. And sprouts bird legs.
- Heel Realization: Puss realizes that Owlberto has real feelings and decides to make it up to it preparing it a surprise birthday party.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Puss being rude to Owlberto causes it to run away and eventually join El Moco. Similarly, Puss apologizing to Owlberto and El Moco being rude to it causes Owlberto to switch sides again.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Too impatient to wait for Artephius to look for the scroll that has the spell to restore the barrier, Puss tries to just recreate it himself by throwing random ingredients together, leading to Owlberto coming to life, who Puss insults by calling it a monster, hurting its feelings causing it to run away and join El Moco.
- Running Gag: For the third time, El Moco is defeated by being shoved into a box.
- Tastes Like Friendship: El Moco tames Owlberto and recruits it to his cause by feeding it.