"You call this doing better? Giving up isn't better."
Clarke's past catches up with her.
- Ambiguous Situation: We are not given a clear context for Josephine's ex killing himself. He's presented mostly as a Stalker with a Crush, but given Josephine's near complete sociopathy, it's possible he actually was Driven to Suicide by her.
- Berserk Button: Josephine absolutely flips out when she catches Clarke viewing her worst memory in the diner.
- Boom, Headshot!: In her worst memory, Josephine's ex shoots himself in front of her when she turns him down again.
- Call-Back: Too many to count. This episode is based entirely around Clarke's memories of events, and features several flashbacks, previously seen locations, items, outfits, and hairstyles, and pictures Clarke has drawn of current and former characters.
- The Cameo: Jake Griffen, ALIE, Maya, Octavia-as-Blodereina, and Monty all make appearances in Clarke's mind space.
- Deadpan Snarker: Josephine, all over the place. Upon encountering Blodereina, she quips, "You look fun."
- Everyone Knows Morse: Justified as Bellamy explicitly says that Pike taught them, and Played With in that Bellamy paid attention and remembered, but Miller admits that he slept through the class.
- Forced to Watch: Josephine's ex shoots himself right before her eyes so that she will have to live with that image for the rest of her life. Since it is her worst memory in the present, apparently his plan worked.
- Get Out!: Shouted by Josephine to Clarke upon catching her viewing her worst memory.
- Heroic BSoD: Josephine presents a skewed version of Bellamy making a deal with Russell, implying to Clarke that he hadn't cared much about her death and was better off without her. After seeing this, Clarke essentially stops fighting and hands over her death warrant to Josephine.
- Just Before the End: We get a glimpse of what the Earth was like before ALIE nuked it, and it gives off this vibe. Shaw had previously mentioned the "Water Wars", and we get to see why. A new dustbowl hit North America before the launch of Eligius III, though Josephine and her friends are mostly oblivious to the implications.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: Kaylee VII gets Josephine VII drunk so that people will think she accidentaly fell out of window instead of being pushed.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Clarke beats the hell out of Josephine. Unfortunately, Josephine can't die in the mind space, and this only buys Clarke some time.
- Spotting the Thread: Josephine tapping her fingers in a slightly unusual way is enough for Bellamy to take note and realize that it's Clarke taking control, sending him a message in Morse: "alive."
- The Sociopath: Clarke calls Josephine one to her face. Josephine doesn't exactly deny it.
- The Unfettered: Josephine
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Dave, Josephine's ex-boyfriend. Had Dave not killed himself in front of Josephine, she wouldn't have changed her mind about leaving Earth with her parents, and probably would've perished in the first apocalypse, meaning that Russell and Gabriel wouldn't have tried to bring her back to life, and Sanctum's society would probably have been shaped very differently.
- Would Hurt a Child: Josephine. Before Kaylee VII killed her, Josephine was leaving null children in the forest to purify the bloodline.