- Adult Fear: Mark's fear as he waits for Bellamy during the storm is palpable. His son is dying and he's terrified that Bellamy won't reach them in time to save him.
- Break the Cutie: The Arkadian's death leaves Harper - who feels responsible - devastated.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Some of Emori's appears to be revealed here. Not only was she cast out as a child because of her hand, but the grounder who attacks her in the house had captured and tortured her in the past. Until it's revealed in the episode's final seconds that she has no idea who the grounder is and just wanted to make sure that neither she nor Murphy were Abby's test dummies.
- Ilian tries to tell Octavia about his. She tells him to shut up.
- Heroic BSoD: Octavia is at her lowest point in this episode, attempting to walk into the black rain before Ilian stops her and drags her back into the cave.
- Human Sacrifice: Emori is afraid that she is going to be this for the group in order to find out if the blood marrow solution works. The grounder who attacks her is used instead.
- Manipulative Bastard: Emori has no idea who the grounder is. The entire story she told Clarke was to ensure that he was the Human Sacrifice, not she or Murphy.
- Not So Above It All: Emori had previously been stoic or aloof; this episode reveals just much how her past - having been cast out because of her hand - has affected her. It also explains why she's so devoted to Murphy.
- Parental Substitute: If it weren't already established, this episode pretty much solidifies that Kane is this for Bellamy.
- Subverted at the end of the episode, though, when Kane references Bellamy's mother, only for Bellamy to shut him down by reminding him that he killed Aurora.
- Real Men Cook: Clarke and Emori find Murphy in the kitchen and both comment on how good he looks there. The food's not bad either.
- Revenge Before Reason: Emori wants to kill the man who attacked her because of what she says he did to her in the past. Clarke wants to keep him alive to find out if there are more grounders around and then to use him as the aforementioned Human Sacrifice.
- Sex for Solace: Octavia sleeps with Ilian, asking her to "Make me feel something else."
- Shirtless Scene: Everyone after the black rain hits. Bellamy, Kane, and Harper are the three most prominent ones at Arkadia, while Ilian and Octavia spend almost the entire episode in their underwear.
- So Proud of You: Kane says this almost word for word to Bellamy over the radio. The moment is slightly ruined by his reference to Aurora and Bellamy's reaction.
Recap / The 100 S 04 E 07