Back To Recap Page
Clarke and Lexa ride back to Arkadia with Nia's body in tow, but on a muddy field discover three hundred Grounders dead, all with bullet wounds. The only survivor of the slaughter is an injured Indra, spared by Bellamy. She tells her Commander and Clarke that it was Charles Pike, not Kane, who murdered her infantry, and delivers them a message from the Chancellor: "Skaikru rejects the Coalition. This is their land now. We can leave, or we can die."
In Arkadia, ten of Pike's soldiers return from the battlefield. Pike gives a speech about how he will expand and bring prosperity to Arkadia. He wants to kill all the Grounders in order for this to happen. After his rally, Abby wonders how none of the soldiers were wounded against three hundred warriors.
Horrified and angered by this traitorous act of violence, Lexa decides to call upon the armies of the Twelve Clans to destroy Arkadia and kill everyone inside. Clarke, now a prisoner of war, convinces Lexa to allow her to talk with Kane. Indra signals him with her radio, and Kane sends Octavia to go and rendezvous with them outside the walls, sending her through a ventilation shaft.
Within the Chancellor's office, Pike, Bellamy, Hannah, and more of his followers discuss the expansion of Arkadia by fifteen kilometers. Bellamy informs Pike about Tondc, which is within that perimeter, and appears to be distraught when Pike suggests they must "clear the village," fearful it will be the base of command for a hostile retaliation. After Pike gives Bellamy his Guard uniform-jacket back, Kane and Lincoln berate Bellamy for killing three hundred innocent warriors who were there to help. Bellamy responds by saying Trikru and Azgeda are the same and he needed to do it, upsetting Lincoln and breaking their friendship.
Meanwhile, Raven confronts Abby for firing her due to her injury. Abby explains to Raven that without the medical supplies from Mount Weather, her leg will never heal. Even more frustrated, Raven storms off. Thelonious Jaha and Otan arrive outside Arkadia, where Otan is shot and killed by Shawn Gilmer. However, it is implied by Jaha that Otan is still alive in the City of Light.
Somewhere in the woods, John Murphy and Emori, who have now started a romantic relationship, become thieves and steal from people they scam on the streets. Emori, oblivious to Otan's death, wants to go look for her brother, but Murphy continuously refuses. Later, during another con, Murphy is found by Grounders from Polis, realizing he is the thief, and prepare to kill him. However, they find the pill Jaha gave him, calling it "the sacred symbol," and apprehend him to find out where he received the object.
Jaha informs Abby that Murphy will be fine and tells Kane he has found the City of Light. Neither Abby nor Kane believe him. Pike does not either, but it seems as if Jaha wants Pike to ignore him instead of assume he is a threat. On the bloody field, Octavia meets with Lexa, Clarke, and Indra. She tells them that Kane lost the election to Pike, infuriating Lexa even more. Believing she can sway Bellamy, Clarke and Octavia return to Arkadia.
Before this event, Bellamy and Pike imprison the sick Grounders. After Lincoln attacks Gillmer, he is forced to go with the other Grounders. Later, Miller gives Lincoln medicine to help Denae, one of the sick Grounders. Jaha tries to organize people to join the City of Light. Raven is outraged for him believing that pain can be relieved so simply. In response, Jaha gives her a pill. He continues to interact with her, but only ends up angering Raven even more. Octavia argues with Bellamy about his decision, until she leads him to Clarke. Bellamy is resentful toward Clarke, blaming her for forcing them to kill so many people and for leaving them all those months ago. Even after she apologizes, Bellamy detains her.
Octavia attacks a guard and rescues Clarke (she electrified Bellamy in order to break free), meeting with Abby and Kane who send them back to Lexa. Clarke convinces Lexa to choose peace over war, in which Lexa responds that "Blood must not have blood," upsetting Indra.
Back in Arkadia, Raven, feeling physically and emotionally defeated by her disability, takes Jaha's pill. When the effects do not set in immediately, she starts walking away. During her walk, Raven's leg begins to function normally, without pain. A.L.I.E. materializes right in front of her and says, "Time to get back to work, Raven."
- Bilingual Bonus: "H/akeldama" is an Aramaic word meaning "field of blood".
- Double Standard: Bellamy now distrusts all grounders but he still trusts Lincoln who is a grounder, Lincoln even points this out to him.Bellamy:We didn't start anything; they did."Lincoln: "They?"Bellamy: "You know what I meant."Lincoln: "I used to."
- "I Know You Are in There Somewhere" Fight: Clarke and Bellamy's conversation, where she tries to bring him around by pulling this tactic. It doesn't work.Clarke: I need you.Bellamy: (scoffs) You need me?Clarke: I need the guy who wouldn't let me pull that lever in Mount Weather by myself.
- I Did What I Had to Do:
- How Bellamy, Pike and the others see the massacre of the grounder army as they see it as we attacked them before they can attack us.Lincoln:"What the hell happened out there?"Bellamy: "We did what we had to."
- Pike himself justifies killing the wounded and basically leaving no survivors, except one as making sure that none of them can retaliate against Arkadia.
- How Bellamy, Pike and the others see the massacre of the grounder army as they see it as we attacked them before they can attack us.
- Ironic Echo: Clarke again tries to comfort and encourage Bellamy with "I need you", which she had previously done in "Day Trip". This time, he disbelievingly throws it in her face, since to him, her actions don't speak much of it.
- Jerkass Has a Point: "You need to wake up. And don't tell me the difference between Azgeda(Ice Nation) and Trikru. Trikru killed thirty seven of my friends before you even touched the ground. We didn't start anything; they did." - Bellamy to Kane.
- Killed Offscreen: Only the aftermath of the massacre of the grounder army is shown.
- Motive Rant: Most of Bellamy's conversation with Clarke is Bellamy explaining the reasons for his actions.Clarke: This isn't who you are.
Bellamy: You're wrong. This is who I've always been. And I let you and Octavia and Kane convince me that we could trust these people when they've shown over and over who they are. And I won't let anyone else die for that mistake.
- Outlaw Couple: Murphy and Emori who have been stealing and conning people.
- Pet the Dog: Bellamy convinces Pike to spare Indra's life because she has been helping the Sky People for the last few months despite his distrust of all grounders and that he just helped massacre her people. Pike just spares her because he wants sparing her life to send a message to the other grounders to stay off their land.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Bellamy gives Clarke one when she comes to Arkadia talk him down and shows his anger about her leaving after Mount Weather,Bellamy: You left me. You left everyone.
Bellamy: Enough! Clarke, You are not in charge here. And that's a good thing because people die when you're in charge. You were willing to let a bomb drop on my sister. Then you made a deal with Lexa who left us in Mount Weather to die and forced us to kill everyone who helped us. People who trusted me!"
- Relationship Upgrade: Murphy and Emori are now an Official Couple.
- Revenge Before Reason: Clarke defies this with Lexa who wants to attack Arkadia and kill everyone in there even the ones who aren't with Pike after seeing the aftermath of the massacre. She convinces Lexa to allow her to go to Arkadia and talk to Kane to see whats going on.
- Sole Survivor: Indra is the only survivor of the massacre which is because Bellamy convinced Pike to spare her life.
- What the Hell, Hero?:
- Lincoln, Octavia, Kane, and Clarke are all basically asking Bellamy this after his participation in the massacre and his support of Pike."Wake up. You attacked an army that was here to help us. Murdered innocent people. Is that who you are now? You thought you could live with yourself after Mount Weather. Well, you just started a war that will kill us all." - Kane to Bellamy
- Bellamy gives Clarke a late one about her actions in season 2 particularly almost getting his sister killed when she didn't inform people of the missile attack, the decision at Mount Weather, leaving everybody later, and her overall decision to trust Lexa causing her to make the above decisions.
- Lincoln, Octavia, Kane, and Clarke are all basically asking Bellamy this after his participation in the massacre and his support of Pike.