Back to Recap Page
Season 3, Episode 15
Perverse Instantiation Part One
- They sent us all down here to see if the ground was survivable. From what I've seen, it's not.—Jasper
Clarke and the others have stopped whilst they wait for the rover to recharge. Clarke wants to find another Nightblood but Octavia says she doesn't want to destroy another grounder village. The others want to return to Arkadia and Clarke angrily walks into the woods. In the woods, a man controlled by A.L.I.E. attempts to kill Clarke and take the flame but he is shot by Roan. Clarke says she needs a nightblood for the flame but Roan is angry as she is the reason Ontari never ascended. Bellamy arrives as holds a gun up to Roan. Clarke says that Roan will come with them as they both want Ontari to get the flame but Bellamy, to make sure Roan isn't chipped, shoots him in the arm. They arrive at Arkadia and Raven asks where Luna is but they explain that she didn't want the flame. Roan is locked up and Clarke goes to see him. She convinces him to work together as he wants an Azgeda commander and she needs a nightblood for the flame. Roan agrees to cooperate. They come up with a plan to get into Polis, Roan will take her 'prisoner' and they can speak to Ontari. As they are loading up, it is revealed that A.L.I.E. is there meaning somebody is chipped. Bellamy is upset that Clarke trusts Roan with her life but Clarke says she trusts Bellamy to cover for her just in case.
Monty and Jasper are searching and discussing the plan. Jasper says that he has heard about Monty and Harper getting together and he is happy for them. Monty is surprised that Jasper is happy for once and Jasper says that although Mount Weather and Maya's death changed him he is done blaming people. The two embrace but it is revealed that Jasper is chipped. Monty finds the part they were looking for and Jasper stabs him with a screw driver. Monty runs to Raven and they lock the door to prevent Jasper coming in. Jasper yells to be let in and Raven tells Monty that if he's there he won't be searching for Harper, who is still outside. Raven attempts to tell Clarke and Bellamy that A.L.I.E. knows about the plan but Jasper had cut the wires of the radio. Monty tells Jasper that he doesn't blame him for taking the chip as he was torture. Jasper explains that he didn't take it because of that, he took it as Luna's oil rig was peaceful and they destroyed it, like they always do. In Polis, Roan and Clarke arrive. Abby and Jaha greet them and Clarke tells them she will never take the chip. A.L.I.E. already knows the plan thanks to Jasper and Roan is shot by Kane. Clarke is taken up to the tower where she it tortured by Abby. She refuses to tell them the pass code for A.L.I.E. 2. Abby says that they need to use Clarke's friends to get Clarke to talk, starting with Bellamy.
Bellamy, Octavia, Miller and Bryan are in Polis and are nearly captured but are saved by Murphy, Indra and Pike. Octavia is upset that Pike is there as he killed Lincoln. Bellamy says they need all they can get and they set off to help Clarke. Murphy and Bellamy go up in the lift to help Clarke whilst Octavia, Indra and Pike stay below to pull them up. Bellamy asks Murphy why he's there and he says to survive but also to save somebody he cares about: Emori. Octavia asks Indra why Pike is there and Indra says that the dead can't help them. Octavia is upset as Lincoln was her home but Indra says that her home is inside her. Suddenly, Kane comes in and begins shooting. Pike and Bryan are both shot. Nathan sets off an explosion to seal the corridor.
In Arkadia, Jasper is listing everybody that has been killed due to them. Harper comes around the corner and asks why the door is locked. Monty tries to warn her but Jasper is hiding and knocks her out. Jasper threatens Monty and Raven by holding a gun to the glass and threatening Harper's life if they don't destroy the machine. In Polis, Abby attempts to get Clarke to talk by hanging herself. Clarke cries but still refuses to give the code. A.L.I.E. assures them that she will break. Downstairs, the group have planted a bomb but Kane is near to it. Indra calls him to get back but he doesn't so Indra runs and saves him. The bomb goes off and Octavia calls for Indra but gets no reply. In the tower, A.L.I.E. tells Ontari that she can't let Clarke have her. Ontari says she understands and kneels down. Jaha slashes at her head and she falls to the floor. A.L.I.E. says that she is not dead but her brain is severely damaged. Murphy and Bellamy arrive and they shoot Jaha to prevent him from further harming Ontari. Murphy gets Abby down from the noose and she is still alive. Clarke goes to check on Ontari but Ontari is brain dead and cannot give them the kill code.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Jasper took the chip offscreen in the previous episode and is now under A.L.I.E's control.
- Call-Back: In the season 1 finale, Clarke told Finn that she trusted Bellamy. In this episode, she tells Bellamy himself.
- Octavia's comment to Clarke about not helping her destroy another innocent grounder village is referring to when in season 2 Clarke and Lexa didn't tell anyone about the missile coming that killed most of the people there and destroyed the village so they can maintain Bellamy's cover in Mount Weather.
- Jasper listing everybody who was killed in the last two seasons.
- Cliffhanger: The episode ends with Clarke realising that the blow Ontari sustained from Jaha has made her brain dead and there is seemingly no way to use The Flame now.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Clarke's mom digs a knife into her several times.
- Enemy Mine: The alliance with Roan and the later alliance with Pike.
- Fire-Forged Friends: It would appear that Murphy and Bellamy have both worked past their previous "He tried to kill me!" issues as they work together in this episode with no arguments.
- Forced to Watch: When Chipped!Abby realizes that Cold-Blooded Torture doesn't work on Clarke, she tells them to bring in Bellamy. When he can't be reached, she hangs herself in front of her daughter.
- Here We Go Again!: "Clarke's in trouble!" "Clarke's always in trouble."
- Jerkass Has a Point: Jasper recites the names of all the 100 members who've died, and how they died. He tells Monty that they were sent to the earth to see if it was survivable. He says it's not.
- Crosses over with Actually Pretty Funny considering how many are "Death by Clarke" and one who was hit with a ninja star, which Jasper notes, "was a good one!"
- Lesser of Two Evils: Clarke decides to try to put the Flame into Ontari in order to defeat A.L.I.E which is something she was trying to avoid all season because Ontari becoming commander could mean war between the Sky People and the Grounders.
- Man Hug: Jasper and Monty hug. It's not real, on Jasper's part.
- More Than Mind Control: According to Jasper the reason he took the chip is because, after unintentionally causing the deaths of several people on the boat peoples oil rig, he realised that anywhere they go death follows and that the ground really wasn't survivable after all.
- Not So Different: When Bellamy asks Murphy why he's still there, Murphy tells Bellamy that he's not the only one trying to save someone here cares about.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Just like Indra, Octavia realizes that they must work with Pike to survive. For now, at least.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Much like with what happened to Raven A.L.I.E. tries to have Ontari killed in order to prevent her from being used against A.L.I.E. While she doesn't end up dead the blow she sustains from Jaha does renter Ontari brain dead and therefore useless to the heroes plans.
- Wham Shot: A.L.I.E standing beside the group after they discussed their plan.
- Later, after Jasper and Monty reconcile, her standing beside Jasper revealing him to be the one who is chipped.