Back To Recap Page
Season 2 Episode 3
- "I'm going to get you out of here."—Clarke (to Anya)
Clarke tries to help Anya out of her cage in the Harvest Chamber in Mount Weather. After ripping off a pipe, Clarke manages to break the lock on Anya's cage. Dr. Lorelei Tsing walks in and Clarke is forced to hide inside the cage with Anya. The doctor observes the group of Grounders in cages before backing away and leaving the room. After the doctor leaves, Clarke helps Anya out of her cage and they go through a door marked "End Containment Area" that abruptly shuts behind them. An alarm goes off and the ground opens beneath them, dumping them into a mining cart filled with bodies.
Clarke manages to get out of the cart and spots piles of clothing. She tells Anya to get dressed and that they need to escape. Anya tells Clarke that she won't leave her people behind. Clarke explains that the Mountain Men have guns and they need to find help to save both of their people Anya tells her there is no "we" just as Reapers come down the tunnel. They jump back into the cart and pretend to be dead. The Reapers toss a couple more Grounder bodies on top of them before pushing the cart down the tracks.
Back at Camp Jaha, Kane is told that Murphy and Bellamy have escaped. Kane asks Abby if she helped the prisoners escape. When Abby doesn't deny it, Kane tells her that aiding known criminals is a serious crime and that as Chancellor, he can't keep it quiet. Abigail announces that Kane was never elected, he only got the job as Chancellor because Jaha beat him to redemption and she leaves.
Bellamy, Finn, Sterling, Monroe, and Murphy try to locate the rest of the delinquents. While searching for the Grounder compound, Murphy asks Bellamy to take off the handcuffs. Bellamy refuses to let him loose or give him a gun, however, Finn ends up freeing Murphy. When Murphy asks again for a gun Bellamy replies by pushing Murphy forward.
Meanwhile, Indra prepares a battle strategy for fighting the Reapers who have taken Lincoln and Nyko. Octavia asks Indra to let her help. However, Indra orders her men to kill Octavia. Octavia outruns them and hides.
Back in Mount Weather, Jasper is taken to a warehouse full of art and antiquities by Maya. There the two talk about art and are about to share a kiss when they're interrupted by lights and voices. Maya grabs Jasper's hand and the two run away. Monty approaches them and Maya leaves for breakfast. Monty asks Jasper if he has seen Clarke. Jasper replies that he would love to talk to Monty about Clarke any other time except now. Monty expresses that he is worried about her and Jasper replies that whatever Clarke is up to, she can handle it.
Back in the tunnels, Clarke and Anya are stuck in the mining cart. When the cart stops, one of the weakened Grounders is taken out and fed on. With the Reapers distracted, Clarke is quick to escape the cart. Anya remains behind, realizing that one of the Grounders is still alive. Anya takes the Grounder's head in her hands and says in Trigedasleng, "Yu gonplei ste odon" ("Your fight is over") before breaking his neck. Anya escapes the cart and the two flee.
Murphy has led them to where he was kept prisoner by the Grounders. At a distance, they look through their rifle scopes for the missing delinquents but don't spot them. Finn notices that one of the Grounders, Delano, is wearing Clarke's watch around his neck. Bellamy notes that Clarke would not give the watch up without a fight as it was her father's. They come up with a plan to lure the Grounder out and capture him for information. When Monroe asks what to do with Murphy, Bellamy announces that Murphy will go with him and Finn. Murphy, hopeful, asks if he'll get a gun. Bellamy pushes Murphy forward and says, "something like that." Instead, Murphy is given two rocks to bang together to attract the attention of the Grounder with Clarke's watch. It works and as the Grounder approaches, Bellamy hits him over the head and knocks him unconscious. Finn tells Bellamy he knows just the place to take him.
At Camp Jaha, Kane informs Major Byrne that Abby confessed to aiding the criminals and that Abby is to be supervised at all times and confined to her quarters when not at work. Major Byrne replies that according to the Exodus Charter, Abigail committed felonies that are punishable by shock lashing and that she should be punished as a deterrent. Just then, a Grounder (Rivo) is brought in by the guards as a hostage. Ark citizens gather around the Grounder in anger, many demanding that the Grounder tell them where their children are. One of the fathers screams that the Grounders have his son and is accidentally shot when he reaches for a guardsman's gun. Major Byrne uses this as evidence that Kane needs to do something about Abby's law-breaking.
Indra is leading her people through the woods as they try to track down the Reapers who took Nyko and Lincoln. One of the Grounders begins to talk strategy and Indra quiets him by telling him the "trees are listening" as Octavia is following behind them.
In Mount Weather, Jasper approaches Monty and sees a disappointed look cross his friend's face. Monty explains that he was hoping Jasper was Clarke. Jasper and Monty both discuss the fact that they haven't seen her for a while, and that they don't think that Clarke even slept in her bed the night before. Monty points out that Clarke doesn't trust the Mountain Men, and Jasper says he thinks they can trust Maya.
In the Reaper tunnels, Clarke gets frustrated because they are in a maze. Anya asks what the Mountain Men were doing to her people. Clarke explains that they were using the Grounders' blood to heal members of Mount Weather from radiation burns. Anya starts to go back toward the Reapers and Clarke tries to stop her, telling her the best way out of this is to work together. While she's talking, Anya takes off and goes her own way, leaving Clarke to fend for herself.
Meanwhile, Indra discusses the plan to ambush the Reapers. One of her people, Penn, is worried because their group is mostly the young and injured. Indra explains that they will use bait to lure the Reapers and strike from the shadows. One of the younger members, Artigas, asks if he is the bait. Indra tells him that he is a warrior; Octavia is the bait. Octavia reveals herself and announces to Indra that she is not afraid. Indra tells her that she will be.
Back at Camp Jaha, the father who was accidentally shot has died. Abby is then arrested by Kane and sentenced to ten shock lashes. She is tied up in front of the whole camp and Major Byrne shocks her at Kane's command.
Finn has brought everyone to the Art Supply Store so they can question Delano. Bellamy is trying to keep them from torturing the Grounder since he learned long ago with Lincoln that it doesn't work. Finn gets worked up that Delano won't tell them where the rest of the Delinquents are and pulls a gun on Delano, threatening to kill him. Bellamy tries to calm Finn down and Finn points the gun at Bellamy, telling him to back off. As Finn cocks the gun, Delano confesses and says that their friends are East of there and he'll draw them a map. Monroe gets him some paper to draw the map.
At the same time, Kane and Major Byrne are questioning the Grounder, Rivo, they have captive, who is refusing to talk. Major Byrne gets a bit worked up and Kane orders her to leave to get some air.
Octavia is lying in wait for the Reapers to approach. Indra and her people attack with Artigas saving Octavia's life from a Reaper. Indra is disarmed and a Reaper is about to injure her when Octavia kills the Reaper, saving Indra's life. Once the Reapers are disposed of, Octavia runs to the log where the Grounders are tied up, being kept prisoner, and rips off the masks of the Grounders as she looks for Lincoln. She gets to the very last Grounder, revealing Nyko, and begs him to tell her where Lincoln is. Nyko shakes his head because Lincoln was not with them and Octavia cries and screams out in anguish.
Maya tells Monty and Jasper that Clarke had a breakdown and snapped and started pulling her stitches out so she was placed in the Psych Ward and was being monitored. In reality, Clarke was being cornered by Reapers in the tunnels under Mount Weather and was about to be attacked when a loud noise was heard that scared off the Reapers. Mountain Men appear, carrying devices that emit a high-pitched tone that seems to repel the Reapers. Clarke tells the Mountain Men that she saw everything. They tell her that is why she will end up in the Harvest chamber instead.
As they're about to bring her back into Mount Weather, Anya attacks. Clarke realizes that if they rip off their masks, the Mountain Men will be exposed to radiation. Clarke and Anya are able to get free and take off running as more Mountain Men chase after them. They arrive at the end of a tunnel that opens out into the side of Philpott Dam. Anya jumps off the dam and into the waters below. Clarke turns toward the Mountain Men and appears to be surrendering before she turns and takes a running jump off the ledge and over the dam into the water below.
Jackson is helping Abby with the wounds from her shock lashing when Kane appears. Abby confronts him and claims that the reason he had her shock-lashed was to get the rest of the camp back in line. Then, she asks him if it worked. She says that he can lash her a hundred times and she would still do whatever she needs to in order to find her daughter. Kane agrees and tells her he's leading a diplomatic mission to try to get the kids back from the Grounders and he's using their Grounder prisoner to lead the way. He then makes Abby the new Chancellor.
Anya has pulled Clarke out of the water and waits for her to regain consciousness before telling Clarke that she is now Anya's prisoner. Anya knocks Clarke over the head with a rock.
Now that Delano has drawn a map to where the delinquents are being allegedly held by the Grounders, Bellamy and Murphy discuss what to do with him. Murphy wants to kill him but Bellamy says that since Delano is unarmed, it would be an execution. Finn kills him anyway.
Octavia is despondent over not finding Lincoln when Nyko approaches her and offers his hand, saying that she proved herself well and that they will let her live. He tells her that Lincoln was a good man and was his "brother".
Lincoln is then revealed to be in the Reaper tunnels. The Reapers have brought him to the Mount Weather intake door and Dr. Tsing is sorting them into the Harvest Project. When she gets to Lincoln, she says to mark him for the "Cerberus program."
- All for Nothing: Subverted. Octavia thinks the rescue mission was this, as they failed to rescue Lincoln. However, they did rescue Nyko and several others from a horrible fate at the hands of the Reapers, and she gained Nyko and Indra's grudging respect, meaning she will survive much longer in Trikru territory than she would have otherwise.
- Apologetic Attacker: Kane makes it clear that he really doesn't want to have Abby lashed, but does it anyway to cement his authority in the camp. He's visibly holding back tears while it happens.
- Big Damn Heroes: Anya repays Clarke's rescuing her by attacking the guards who have recaptured her and helping her escape in turn. Then subverted when it turns out she rescued her to use as a prisoner to regain her honor before the Commander.
- Bilingual Dialogue: Indra and the other Grounders from Lincoln's village switch back an forth between Trig and English. At first it seems to be a stylistic choice, but Indra's doing it intentionally because Octavia is listening.
- Call-Back: Several:
- Kane previously mentioned that reckless gun usage was an extreme danger to the Ark survivors. He's proven right here when a civilian tries to pull a gun away from a guard and shoots himself in the chest.
- Bellamy actively stops Finn from torturing Delano, referencing his own interrogation of Lincoln, and how there are certain lines that can't be uncrossed. It doesn't work.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: When Anya has Clarke at her mercy, she stops short of killing her, as the only chance to regain her honor in the eyes of the Commander, following the debacle that was the battle at the Drop Ship, is to bring Clarke to her as a prisoner.
- Cerebus Callback: The "Art Supplies Store", or the bunker Finn discovered way back in Season 1. It was originally an escape for Clarke and Finn, and the first and only place they were ever intimate. It's now used to hold a captured Grounder, and the art supplies used to draw a map ostensibly to where the 48 are being held.
- Character Check: Kane may have come a long way since the Pilot where he tried to execute Abby for saving Jaha, but is still grappling with situations on the ground where the Ark's All Crimes Are Equal and Black and White Morality no longer apply. More importantly, while he may have buried the hatchet with Abby earlier, their friendship is only tenuous, and his patience with her continued flaunting of his authority only goes so far. However, his Character Development sticks and he full-on commits to being The Atoner by the end.
- The Corrupter: Major Byrne plays this role to Kane, egging him on to punish Abby for continuing to break the law. Later Murphy accidentally plays this role to Finn, who takes his encouraging of Bellamy to kill Delano to heart and does it himself.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Played with. The Grounders are still technically enemies, but Clarke now views the Mountain Men as the greater threat, and climbs in Anya's cage with her to escape detection by Dr. Singh when she does a surprise inspection of the Grounder Farm.
- Enemy Mine: Twice:
- Clarke naturally assumes she can pull one of these with Anya by working together to escape Mount Weather. Anya is... less than receptive to this idea, as she hates Clarke for killing 300 of her warriors.
- After surviving a few attempts to kill her, Octavia successfully convinces Indra to let her help the Grounders rescue Lincoln and Nyko.
- Fan Disservice: Anya is in a very skimpy outfit most of the time, but she is emaciated and starts off locked in a cage and rather sick looking.
- Fantastic Drug: The Red Drug used by the Mountain Men. It's not clear what it's supposed to do, but the Reapers seem to get high off it.
- Friendly Fire: One of the parents of the 48 tries to grab a gun from the Guardsman escorting a captive prisoner to the camp, and accidentally forces the guard to shoot him in the scuffle.
- Gaslighting: Continued on Clarke even when she is no longer in Mount Weather. The cover story for her escape is that she had a breakdown and is being held in the psyche ward.
- Handicapped Badass: Repeatedly being used as a human dialysis machine and being locked in a cage has not been kind to Anya, and she is weakened enough that she can't escape Mount Weather without Clarke's aid even after getting out of the cage.
- Iconic Item: Clarke's (formerly Jake's) watch. Finn spots it around the neck of Delano at the prisoner camp, and takes it as evidence that he must know where Clarke is. Later Finn is visibly wearing it when he executes Delano.
- Interrupted Intimacy: Jasper and Maya are about to kiss when a guard interrupts them by walking through the warehouse. Jasper and Maya immediately high tail it out, although Maya admits that no one was chasing them.
- Made of Iron: All of the Reapers seem to be this, which gives Indra's crew some trouble, as even when outnumbered they are still deadly. One of them kills a Grounder with ease after taking two Annoying Arrows straight to the chest.
- Mercy Kill: Anya snaps the neck of one of the Grounders who is too weak to escape the Reaper's cannibalism, then gives him the proper Grounder send off.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Downplayed, but present. Maya's favorite painting in the vast Mount Weather collection depicts the Second Level of Hell (Lust) from Dante's Inferno.Maya: Wallace goes in for landscapes and impressionists, but my taste runs a little darker.
- Only Sane Man: Kane continues to do his best at trying to maintain this attitude, being the only person to see the bigger picture in the conflict between the Ark survivors and the Grounders, and the Endless War that will follow if it continutes. He ends up leading a rescue mission for the 48, but also to try and meet with the Grounder Commander and negotiate a cease fire.
- Playing Possum: Twice:
- Clarke and Anya do this evade a Reaper patrol. It helps that they jumped in a container specifically for corpses, and promptly get buried under fresh ones.
- Octavia later pulls this to help Indra's crew get a drop on the Reapers.
- Punny Name: The episode's title is a portmanteau of "Repercussions" and "Reaper".
- Rank Up: Kane promotes Abby to Chancellor in his place, while he personally leads a peace-keeping mission to meet with the Grounder Commander and hopefully rescue the 48.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Abby gives a brief one to Kane, pointing out he wasn't elected and that he hasn't reached redemption for the atrocities he committed on the Ark.
- The Reveal: The Mountain Men control the Reapers, by feeding them human corpses and hurting them with a high pitched tone. The Not Quite Dead victims Clarke and Finn saw in the Reaper tunnels were the remains of the Grounders used for Human Resources by Mount Weather.
- Sanity Slippage: Finn starts showing signs of this, as the pressure to find the 48 mounts. The normally reserved and kind Finn starts screaming at the Grounder (Delano) who he and Bellamy capture and interrogate, then holds Bellamy at gunpoint when he tries to stop him. Compounded when he murders Delano execution style, and then casually tells the others they should go. Even Murphy is startled by his behavior.Murphy: And you thought I was the crazy one.
- Secret Government Warehouse: Mount Weather has one, only it's not so secret. It stores a huge collection of art from before the nuclear apocalypse. President Wallace is the first leader to remove at least some of the paintings and hang them for the general public to enjoy.
- Maya's favorite painting is William Blake's The Lovers' Whirlwind, which illustrates the second level of Hell from Dante's Inferno. The writers seem to be doubling down on the Divine Comedy references.
- Clarke and Anya's jump from the damn to escape the guards mirrors a near identical sequence in The Fugitive.
- Soft Water: Clarke and Anya leap off the damn to escape the guards, and seem no worse for wear, although Clarke is knocked out on impact.
- A Taste of the Lash: Sci-fi variant. Kane has Abby suspended between two poles and Major Byrne shocks her with a Guardsmen lance. It seems to hurt like hell, but leaves less lasting damage than a traditional whip would.
- Wild Goose Chase: Unintentional. Bellamy, Finn and the others still have no idea of the existence of the Mountain Men, and assume the 48 are being held by Grounders. The fact that Grounders at the prisoner camp have supplies from the Drop Ship, and Clarke's watch, reinforces this idea. Then a Grounder they captured lies and tells them they have been captured.
- You Got Spunk: Indra and Nyko gain enough respect for Octavia that they let her live after she assists with a rescue.