Raphael is insulted by a New Yorker named Vic, who captures the turtles on video.
This episode provides examples of:
- Absentee Actor: April doesn't make an appearance and is mentioned in only one scene.
- Acrofatic: Spider Bytez.
- All There in the Script: Vic's name is never mentioned in the episode and appears only in the credits.
- Arrow Catch: Splinter does this during Raph's insult training.
- Asshole Victim: Vic is a complete jerk to the Turtles even when they're trying to save him from the Kraang, and it doesn't end well for him.Donnie: Remind me why we have to rescue this guy.
- Bilingual Bonus: Two examples; One of Donatello's insults to Raphael is that he doesn't keep his back straight while doing "omote kote gyaku", and Splinter explains the concept of "ninniku seishin" to Raphael as the ability to endure insults with patience and humility.
- Bullying a Dragon: Vic continues to insult Raph even after he sees him beating up Kraang droids. He also tries to blackmail the Turtles into paying him for the video. Had Splinter not instructed them to try to get the picture back without violence, they would probably have taken it from him easily.
- Complaining About Rescues They Don't Like: Vic refuses to let the Turtles save him from the Kraang unless he gets his phone back.
- Create Your Own Villain:
- Spider Bytez invokes this trope, though it's arguable in his case: the Turtles were trying to save him, and would have succeeded if he had not kept acting like a combination of Jerkass and Too Dumb to Live. His mutation was pretty much more his fault than theirs.
- Played straight with Splinter, who considers himself responsible for Shredder's Start of Darkness, as he explains to Raph in an effort to Tame His Anger. Splinter recounts an incident where Shredder openly and relentlessly insulted him in front of Tang Shen, eventually leading Splinter to lose his temper and attack him. This caused their rivalry to intensify, eventually leading to Shen's death at Shredder's hands. Raph claims that he had no choice but to get angry since Shredder was insulting him, to which Splinter retorts that he could have chosen to just ignore him and walk away.
- Fat Bastard: Vic (the guy who insults Raph and gets the turtles on video) before his mutation into Spider Bytez. Doubles as Fat Idiot.
- Flashback: When Splinter tells Raph the story of how his own temper worsened his rivalry with Shredder in the past.
- Giant Spider: Spider Bytez.
- Hypocrite: When Spider Bytez called them freaks even though he's mutated into a giant spider.
- Jerkass: Vic, who later becomes Spider Bytez. It gets to the point that the Turtles actually ask themselves why they're risking their lives to save him from the Kraang.
- The Load: Raph quickly becomes as such early on due to his Hair-Trigger Temper, which leads to him abandoning the other three in the middle of a fight with the Kraang to argue with Vic, leading to Vic being captured by them. After this, Leo and the others agree that Raph's temper is out of control and force him to go home until he reins it in.
- Metamorphosis: From human to mutant spider.
- Never My Fault: After being transformed into Spider Bytez, Vic swiftly blames the Turtles for it... except if he hadn't started screaming about his phone when the Turtles were pulling him to safety, and then put himself in harm's way by trying to retrieve the phone in the midst of the Turtles fighting the Kraang, he never would've come into contact with the Mutagen.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Mikey constantly provoking Raph whilst staking out a warehouse for the Kraang results in the destruction of a satellite TV dish, which sets into effect a chain of events that, thanks in part to his own stubbornness & stupidity, leads to Vic being transformed into Spyder Bytez.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Justified when Splinter teaches Raphael how to take insults without letting them lose focus on any future missions, by having his brothers shoot at him with arrows while insulting him. What follows is Raphael going on a brutal verbal Humiliation Conga, courtesy of his brothers.Michelangelo: You move like a bloated buffalo!
Raphael: I do not!
Leonardo: —and you're always whining! "Poor me, nobody understands me!"
Raphael: You don't understand—! (gets hit by an arrow)
Donatello: You don't keep your back straight during Omote Kote Gyaku! (Shoots Raph with an arrow) And you're ugly!
Michelangelo: —And gassy!
Raphael: Stop it!
Leonardo: Aw... You talk so tough, but inside you're just a scared little baby.
Donatello: Who needs his bottle?
Michelangelo: —And his diaper changed?
Leonardo: What's the matter Raph? You gonna cry?
Raphael: (continuously getting hit with arrows) I... AM... NOT... GONNA CRY!! (one more arrow knocks him over)
- Refuse to Rescue the Disliked: Vic proves to be such a Jerkass and Ungrateful Bastard that Donnie flat-out asks the others why they're bothering to try to rescue him from the Kraang.
- She's Not My Girlfriend: Mikey teases Donatello for his not-so-subtle crush on April. Donnie responds with this remark.
- Super Spit: Spider Bytez can spit acidic loogies. He can also produce webbing from his butt.
- Title Drop: A subtle one.Raph: We're not Kung Fu Frogs. We're Ninja Turtles.
- A Truce While We Gawk: There's an instance of this between the turtles and the Kraang when Spider Bytez makes his debut.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Vic, to the extent that Donnie even asks why they're bothering to try and save his worthless butt.
- Was Once a Man: Spider Bytez.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Spider Bytez.