Cassandra creates red rocks which cause the citizens of Corona to experience their worst fears.
Tropes in this episode:
- Call-Back: To stop the red rocks, Varian uses the same substance he tested on the black rocks back in "Queen for a Day". This time, the thing that got his father Taken for Granite ends up saving the kingdom.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Catalina shows off her werewolf form and the people flee, she complains that she hasn't even finished her act.
- Continuity Nod: Several.
- The Demanitus Device reappears since Rapunzel last used it in "Queen For a Day".
- This isn't the first time Rapunzel and Varian have journeyed through the tunnels beneath the castle.
- While in the Demanitus Chamber, Rapunzel brings up the time she met Lord Demanitus as a monkey, referring to his spirit being encased in Vigor.
- Didn't Think This Through:
- At a talent show meant to keep the people of Corona calm, Kiera and Catalina think it's a good idea to have the latter turn into a werewolf.
- Varian realizes too late that his formula which creates amber from the black rocks wouldn't have the same reaction to the red ones, given that they would have a different composition from the ordinary kind. Luckily, there's still some black rocks in the area.
- Face Your Fears: Those who confront their fears can avoid being petrified by the red rocks.
- Homage Shot: The Imagine Spot of Rapunzel's worst fear shows Cassandra staring silently at the viewer before disappearing into the flames of destroyed Corona behind her. If you don't get it, just watch the scene again with "Those Chosen By The Planet" in the background.
- Internal Reveal: Varian finally learns that Cassandra betrayed Rapunzel.
- It's All My Fault: Varian verbally acknowledges that it was his fault - not Rapunzel's or anyone in Corona's - that his father was trapped by the rocks, and his greatest fear is that something like that will happen again as punishment for the crimes he committed against Corona.
- Music for Courage: Lance overcomes his fear of singing in public to lead a rousing musical so everyone else will conquer their fears with him.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Lance's fear is a Giant Spider Monster Clown that wants him to sing in public.
- No Ontological Inertia: When the red rocks are severed from their power source, everyone who fell victim to them turns back to normal.
- Not Afraid of You Anymore: Lance says this to his spider-clown hallucination, insisting he's bigger than his fear as it literally shrinks in response to his confidence.
- Oh, Crap!: Eugene when he realizes that Red/Catalina's "talent" for the show is becoming a werewolf.
- Power Incontinence: Cassandra creates the red rocks by accident when her fear gets the better of her, causing the moonstone to respond by creating the red rocks and sending them to Corona.
- "Ray of Hope" Ending: The mysterious child plays on Cassandra's insecurities to make her even more determined to fight Rapunzel, but as Rapunzel notes, there's still a part of Cassandra that doesn't want to do this and thus they still have a chance of redeeming her.
- Reformed, but Rejected: Downplayed. Not everyone has instantly forgiven Varian since he had a HeelFace Turn, though their opinion improves once he saves the kingdom from the red rocks.
- Shapeshifting Excludes Clothing: Catalina is shown destroying her clothing as she transforms, yet the next time we see her as a girl she is wearing the same outfit as before.
- Shout-Out: So Lance's fear is of a spider-clown. Sound familiar?
- Sole Survivor: Rapunzel's greatest fear is not just everyone she cares about dying, but that she will lose Cassandra as a friend forever, all because she didn't do enough. The worst part? That she will live to see it all.
- Supernatural Fear Inducer: The red rocks cause people to experience visions of their worst fears, and if they remain afraid long enough, they petrify.
- Taken for Granite: People who stay afraid for too long turn red and literally petrify like the rocks.
- Visual Pun: People who see their worst fears come to life will feel petrified...which will happen to them literally if they reach that point.
- Vocal Dissonance: Even in her big, giant, scary werewolf form, Red/Catalina still has her regular little girl voice.
- "What Do They Fear?" Episode: Brought to the cast by the red rocks. Rapunzel sees her whole kingdom die, and losing Cassandra as a friend forever. Varian sees his father becoming trapped again and the citizens of Corona hatefully proclaiming that it's what he deserves for his past treachery. Lance sees a monster spider-clown forcing him to sing in public. Eugene sees...an untamable cowlick in his hair.
- Who Would Be Stupid Enough?: Varian says this about climbing to reach the Black Rock.Varian: (Nervous laugh) You're telling me I need to climb all the way up there? Nobody in their right mind would climb...
Rapunzel: Race you to the top!
Varian: (Annoyed) Oh, come on.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Rapunzel encourages Varian to move beyond his dark past and face up to his fears, saying that he is far from an ordinary person and is capable of great things.