Next: Supernatural S 14 E 02 Gods And Monsters
Stranger In a Strange Land
Written by: Andrew Dabb
Directed by: Thomas J. Wright
Air date: October 11th, 2018
Sam leads the hunters in searching for Dean, while Apocalypse World Michael uses Dean's vessel to forward his agenda.
- Answers to the Name of God: In the exchange between Michael and Jo:Jo: You're not — You're no Dean Winchester. You're... Oh, God.
Michael: People keep calling me that.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Michael's recurring question, asking everyone he meets what they want. It apparently inspires Kipling's grab for the Hell crown.
- Back from the Dead: Rather surprisingly Nick, Lucifer's vessel who by all rights should have died multiple times over, is back to live. Sam speculates that this may be because of the archangel blade only being made to vanquish the Archangel within not the human.
- Bad Dreams: Nick has been having severe nightmares as a result of being occupied by Lucifer.
- Beard of Sorrow: Sam has let his beard grow in Dean's absence.
- Bilingual Dialogue: Michael speaks with Jamil in both English and Arabic.
- Brought Down to Normal: Jack has to adjust to not having his grace or powers.
- The Bus Came Back: Nick, the human who let Lucifer possess him, makes his return after a whopping nine years. Well, as a character, since his body was seen throughout the series since then.
- Chekhov's Gun: One of the hunters warns that a large group of vampires are headed their way. The last scene shows Michael making a deal with one.
- Evil Power Vacuum: With Lucifer and Asmodeus dead, and Crowley already dead since the end of Season 12, Hell is now leaderless. Kipling's plan in this episode is an attempt to use Team Free Will take over. Ultimately, once Kipling is dealt with, Sam settles things by abolishing the position of King of Hell on pain of death.
- Glasses Pull: Kipling removes his shades at a dramatic moment to reveal his Black Eyes of Evil.
- Kick the Dog: Michael beats, berates and implicitly kills Jamil, who doesn't seem like a bad guy.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: The remaining demons in the bar promptly turn tail and run after Sam kills Kipling and challenges them to fight him if they want to be the next king of Hell.
- Shown Their Work: Jamil mistakes Michael for Gabriel at first. In Islam, Gabriel is considered far more important than Michael ever is.note If a supernatural being close to God (as Michael phrases his question) is asked to Muslims, Gabriel is the first to come in mind.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Deliberately invoked by Kipling who intentionally plays himself up as another "flouncy" Crowley-like character. When called out on it though he admits that it doesn't suit him and drops the act.
- Zerg Rush: Castiel, who could probably eviscerate any of the demons one-on-one, gets curb stomped by a bar room full of them.